Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling Motor Less Weedless Than New

Post Thanks / Like

Post Trolling Motor Less Weedless Than New

I fish in heavy weeds and lilies. There is no such thing as 100% weedless.
    I have noticed some dings in my weedless prop where the prop has hit something hard. Also I noticed the blade was rounded some in places. So with the weather no good for working or fishing I thought I'd work on the boat and tackle some. I went outside with a file and began sharpening the prop. Its windy, damp and cold and was taking quite a lot of whetting to sharpen the hard plastic so I removed the prop to take it inside. When I removed the prop I found a great wad of mono + weeds wrapped around the shaft. I would have never known it was there. No telling how much drain it was putting on my BAT. Anyway I'm hoping to have a more weedless Troller next time I hit the lake. Maybe tomorrow.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Fin ...

not only can mono around the prop shaft cause the battery to drain, and less actual power to the prop -- but, it can also cut into the shaft & housing ... possibly allowing water to get into the motor head (that's not good, either)

Removing the prop from your trolling motor - and checking for mono or debris, should be on your "list" of things to do BEFORE you go fishing (right up there with having your license with you, tackle, food, drain plug, etc )

And be sure and get all the prop ears to the same specs ... to reduce the possibility of having the prop be off balance, and cause the trolling motor to vibrate. ........... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever tried out Shear
    Magic
    ?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    not only can mono around the prop shaft cause the battery to drain, and less actual power to the prop -- but, it can also cut into the shaft & housing ... possibly allowing water to get into the motor head (that's not good, either)

Removing the prop from your trolling motor - and checking for mono or debris, should be on your "list" of things to do BEFORE you go fishing (right up there with having your license with you, tackle, food, drain plug, etc )

And be sure and get all the prop ears to the same specs ... to reduce the possibility of having the prop be off balance, and cause the trolling motor to vibrate. ........... cp
    CP is right about the mono. It can eat up a seal real quick like.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Noticable Improvement

Well I went out to try em this afternoon. The temps have been down in the thirties after last weeks upper seventies. I did not expect much and didn't get anything. I noticed right off that my trolling motor was running better through the thickest weeds and Lillie's. It cut through like a food processor which mean it was also faster through the thick stuff. Well worth the time for maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a bad Idea to pull the prop on the big motor also and check it out to.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p