HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frying Crappie My Dad's Way

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frying Crappie My Dad's Way

Wish he was still here so I could ask him; stupid me...I learned some things but not the important stuff.

I do remember that he put flour, salt and pepper (and nothing else) in a paper bag and tossed in a filet or two, tossed the bag this way and that, then removed the fish and placed in a hot cast iron frying pan. He usually fried them outside on an old Coleman gas stove, and often would have folks over for a fish fry. If it was raining he would do the task in the basement shop area with the outside double doors open, which was almost being outside.

Wife has repeatedly tried to get the same taste but the fish always tastes mushy. To say the fish was not as good was to draw ire, to put it mildly. Dad's crappie was always firm and tasted wonderful. It was fully cooked however; he took considerable pride in his fried fish and was so happy to have others enjoy it.

He would have been 100 this month, but lasted only 90 fantastic years, most of them fishing for crappie. I watched him cook fish and thought I would know how, but the lessons did not take. Perhaps ojt would have been the proper course of action for a teenage boy smitten with other thoughts.

I have read the recipes but for straight crappie without the extra coating stuff (diced jalapenos, corn meal, crushed okra etc), what is the secret on oil temperature, depth and cooking time. Thought he might have checked to see if fish filet would break easily; if so, it was done.
    Likes Just Steve, BigDawgg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Castoff
    Wife has repeatedly tried to get the same taste but the fish always tastes mushy.
    Probably overcooked. That or the oil isn't hot enough. My wife overcooks everything.
    Likes broz, BigDawgg LIKED above post

hawkman is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It could also have something to do with how the fish are taken care of before frying. Are they freshly caught & cleaned or have they set around all day in just a bucket of water? Clean as soon as possible or keep them on ice. Oil should be 350-370 degrees for frying, a thermometer is a big help. Deep frying, have enough oil so the fish will float when done, a nice golden brown. Pan frying, enough oil to cover fish at least halfway, brown on one side & turn to cook the other side. Don't blame your wife, get in there & help her. I have fried a lot of fish on a Coleman stove. You might also want to try cornmeal instead of flour or a mixture of the two. I prefer House Autry seafood breader.
    Crappie fishing is my lighthouse of sanity in an insane world,
    It keeps me from crashing on the rocky shores of everyday life.
    Crappie.com is my beacon of light!
    Likes broz, BigDawgg, fish getter LIKED above post
    Thanks bustter4 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use 2 parts yellow corn meal to 1 part flour and salt and pepper. And always fry fish in cast iron!!! I hope you figure it out....
    Likes "D", blueball, Googan LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I do remember that he put flour, salt and pepper (and nothing else) in a paper bag and tossed in a filet or two, tossed the bag this way and that, then removed the fish and placed in a hot cast iron frying pan. He usually fried them outside on an old Coleman gas stove, and often would have folks over for a fish fry.
    when i read that,i thought we might be related:D
    could have sworn you were talking about my uncle
    that's exactly how he does it with the saugeyes he serves up at our fish frys.he doesn't believe in covering up the fish flavor with anything else.
    he's still doing it at the tender age of 83
    i've not yet been able to duplicate his results,though i can get it close
    hawkman has the idea.prep and freshness is important,but frozen fish will be great when done right.oil temps and depth that hawkman mentioned for pan frying should be maintained.a good iron skillet is a must.
    the real trick to my uncles fabulous tasting filets is frying in a 50/50 mix of crisco and butter to a golden color.
    i hate those fish frys cause the wife has to roll me into the car and drive me home after standing by the cook and stuffing hot from the skillet filets in my mouth all day :D

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for the answers. Really want to figure it out because I miss crappie done his way, i.e., good crappie. Think the thermometer is a good idea, have one for candy making, and will make sure the oil (Crisco is all he ever used) is and stays hot. We have a deep fryer but never used it for fish...maybe its time...think the CI skillet was tossed when it was badly burned. Now, if it will get a bit warmer, I'm to the lakes....retired so any day is a good fishing day. Think the temp today should be 52, so might find a neighbor who is willing to brave the elements too. And have read that the catch is getting better here in Tn.

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed your story and agree the oil temperature and pan may be the problem.

We bought a place a few years back on LOZ and the crappie fishing is excellent from the dock. Not a day goes by that I do not wish my dad was still alive to share the experience with. Seems I never really appreciated spending time with him until he was gone. I have passed down the love of fishing to my family and hope they will be thinking of me and the quality time we shared when I am gone.
    JoyJoy
    Lake of the Ozarks
    46 mm

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds to me like she's using too much oil. you only need 1/8-1/4 inch of oil to start with. When you add the fillets the level will rise. May need to add some more oil after a batch or two. I never use a thermometer, I just sprinkle some plain corn meal into the oil and see if it sizzles.
    www.varsitymrtg.com the #1 source for Fisherman's home financing.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your temp might not be hot enough. I like mine pretty crispy. I use peanut oil in cast iron. Louisisana spicy fish fry mix, and oil. I don't think all the fancy stuff makes them any better. The magic temp seems to be 360. I would not go less. You will need a thermometer. I like 360+ a little better.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keep fish firm

Most people thaw their fish to fast. Never use warm water to thaw fish. I actually put mine in ice water. As soon as the fish is thawed cook it and make sure your oil is at the proper temp 325 to 350.
    Likes BigDawgg LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast