Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something Different

Post Thanks / Like

Default Something Different

Sure hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes, but IMHO after well over a week, a new thread was badly needed to begin this page. Thumbs Up
    Lessee, how 'bout fly fishing for southern flounder. Got my limit (10) Friday from the canals in Louisiana's Rockefeller Wildlife Refuge on size 1 gold, purple, and chartruese Clouser-type flies (Colors were individually, not in combinations). No pics - the fillet-knife got to them before the camera did, but I think I have good credentials (Help me there, DB4D!). Hands Clapping
    Also had a 20 and a 26-inch red, but that's not especially important here. The fact is that flounder will eat flies with regularity, just look for shallow
    (2-feet deep or less) moving water with plenty of minnows/shrimp/pogies present. And you don't have to bump bottom with the flies - just a moderate-paced retrieve.
    Incidentally, I've been fly fishing for redfish out of a canoe/pirogue/duckboat since 1971 - but NEVER a yak!
    Don't intend to, either!
    Now that should stir some stuff!
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Very impressive, Pete. Never figured you could do so well with flies for flounder. Have you ever tried that for (freshwater) catfish? Nice reds, too.

What's your beef with the yak? I don't have one. I was just curious since they seem to be the "in thing". A guy I work with was telling me the other day that he wanted one.

Post Thanks / Like

"Sit-on-tops" might be okay, but a canoe holds much more junk. Granted, it is more subject to the breeze, but after 40 years, you learn to cope.
    As far as "sit-inside" types go, forget it! I get claustrophic - just like I do in those low-slung bassboats (Never had one of those, either!) - and I feel I can't see worth poop in either type.
    Now pass a bayboat across me...
    Intend to make a repeat performance of Friday's flounder stomp tomorrow. Only caught one crappie this spring, and I released it, so I need some skillet-material badly.
    Stay cool.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, forgot about the catfish question.
    Funniest thing, but the first fish I caught after being displaced to Acadiana by K. was a channel cat that hit a size 4 popper - Lake Fausse Pointe. Although I have caught others (Almost all of them on poppers), I never cared enough about it to try to develope a pattern - had more than enough elsewhere to keep me occupied.
    And just to add to funny things, my biggest - a 28-pound blue - was taken on a gold Johnson "Sprite" while redfishing in Grand Pass just below Venice. And my largest one before that one - a 26-pounder - ate a spinnerbait while I was bass fishing down South Pass!
    When you have luck like that, who needs a pattern!
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Flounder on the fly? You've made me extremely jealous. I will have to try that in August. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
    Flounder on the fly? You've made me extremely jealous. I will have to try that in August. Thanks for the info.
    Egads, a usurper of the title!
    Sure hope he's worthy, since I'm pretty particular about who shares my Louisiana license plate, my regular column with Gulf Coast Fisherman, my website, and my ego.
    Anyway, you are welcome. Bon chance pour le plie.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sneakypete View Post
    ... my regular column with Gulf Coast Fisherman ...
    I'll have to check this out, Pete. I think one of the local bookstores carries GCF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I'll have to check this out, Pete. I think one of the local bookstores carries GCF.
    Aw, come on - you didn't know that already?
    Oops! Maybe you aren't who I think you are!! EEK!
    Then I withdraw all I said a while back about Borgwat and Mary!!!!!
    Or not, but I'm still a little queasy about it all.
    Incidentally, the GCF column began in Ontober 2006.
    Pass a fun weekend.
    Pete
    Oh, and for the "Other" fly guy, don't sweat it, kid, everyone's allowed a mistake or two.
    Bon soir, cher.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sneakypete View Post
    Egads, a usurper of the title!
    Sure hope he's worthy, since I'm pretty particular about who shares my Louisiana license plate, my regular column with Gulf Coast Fisherman, my website, and my ego.
    Anyway, you are welcome. Bon chance pour le plie.
    Pete
    Haha, yea I apologize for that. I created the name prior to noticing your blog. However, after reading much of your wisdom when it comes to fly fishing I can assure you, I am nowhere near worthy. I can only hope that in time, your knowledge will rub off on me much like your name has.

Post Thanks / Like

FG, you are a gentleman! Hope some of my stuff does help.
    Incidentally, I was born in the base hospital at Fort Sill.
    Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast