PDA

View Full Version : Something Different

sneakypete
05-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Sure hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes, but IMHO after well over a week, a new thread was badly needed to begin this page. Thumbs Up
Lessee, how 'bout fly fishing for southern flounder. Got my limit (10) Friday from the canals in Louisiana's Rockefeller Wildlife Refuge on size 1 gold, purple, and chartruese Clouser-type flies (Colors were individually, not in combinations). No pics - the fillet-knife got to them before the camera did, but I think I have good credentials (Help me there, DB4D!). Hands Clapping
Also had a 20 and a 26-inch red, but that's not especially important here. The fact is that flounder will eat flies with regularity, just look for shallow
(2-feet deep or less) moving water with plenty of minnows/shrimp/pogies present. And you don't have to bump bottom with the flies - just a moderate-paced retrieve.
Incidentally, I've been fly fishing for redfish out of a canoe/pirogue/duckboat since 1971 - but NEVER a yak!
Don't intend to, either!
Now that should stir some stuff! :cool:
Pete

deathb4disco
05-31-2011, 08:40 AM
Very impressive, Pete. Never figured you could do so well with flies for flounder. Have you ever tried that for (freshwater) catfish? Nice reds, too.

What's your beef with the yak? I don't have one. I was just curious since they seem to be the "in thing". A guy I work with was telling me the other day that he wanted one.

sneakypete
05-31-2011, 01:32 PM
"Sit-on-tops" might be okay, but a canoe holds much more junk. Granted, it is more subject to the breeze, but after 40 years, you learn to cope.
As far as "sit-inside" types go, forget it! I get claustrophic - just like I do in those low-slung bassboats (Never had one of those, either!) - and I feel I can't see worth poop in either type.
Now pass a bayboat across me...
Intend to make a repeat performance of Friday's flounder stomp tomorrow. Only caught one crappie this spring, and I released it, so I need some skillet-material badly.
Stay cool.
Pete

sneakypete
05-31-2011, 01:43 PM
Oh, forgot about the catfish question.
Funniest thing, but the first fish I caught after being displaced to Acadiana by K. was a channel cat that hit a size 4 popper - Lake Fausse Pointe. Although I have caught others (Almost all of them on poppers), I never cared enough about it to try to develope a pattern - had more than enough elsewhere to keep me occupied.
And just to add to funny things, my biggest - a 28-pound blue - was taken on a gold Johnson "Sprite" while redfishing in Grand Pass just below Venice. And my largest one before that one - a 26-pounder - ate a spinnerbait while I was bass fishing down South Pass!
When you have luck like that, who needs a pattern!
Pete

FlyGuy
06-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Flounder on the fly? You've made me extremely jealous. I will have to try that in August. Thanks for the info.

sneakypete
06-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Flounder on the fly? You've made me extremely jealous. I will have to try that in August. Thanks for the info.

Egads, a usurper of the title!
Sure hope he's worthy, since I'm pretty particular about who shares my Louisiana license plate, my regular column with Gulf Coast Fisherman, my website, and my ego.
Anyway, you are welcome. Bon chance pour le plie.
Pete

deathb4disco
06-02-2011, 02:40 PM
... my regular column with Gulf Coast Fisherman ...

I'll have to check this out, Pete. I think one of the local bookstores carries GCF.

sneakypete
06-02-2011, 04:05 PM
I'll have to check this out, Pete. I think one of the local bookstores carries GCF.

Aw, come on - you didn't know that already?
Oops! Maybe you aren't who I think you are!! EEK!
Then I withdraw all I said a while back about Borgwat and Mary!!!!!
Or not, but I'm still a little queasy about it all.
Incidentally, the GCF column began in Ontober 2006.
Pass a fun weekend.
Pete
Oh, and for the "Other" fly guy, don't sweat it, kid, everyone's allowed a mistake or two.
Bon soir, cher.
Pete

FlyGuy
06-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Egads, a usurper of the title!
Sure hope he's worthy, since I'm pretty particular about who shares my Louisiana license plate, my regular column with Gulf Coast Fisherman, my website, and my ego.
Anyway, you are welcome. Bon chance pour le plie.
Pete

Haha, yea I apologize for that. I created the name prior to noticing your blog. However, after reading much of your wisdom when it comes to fly fishing I can assure you, I am nowhere near worthy. I can only hope that in time, your knowledge will rub off on me much like your name has.

sneakypete
06-03-2011, 08:11 PM
FG, you are a gentleman! Hope some of my stuff does help.
Incidentally, I was born in the base hospital at Fort Sill.
Pete

jamie franklin
06-07-2011, 07:08 AM
One guy I know from flyfishing regulary catchs flounder on fly tackle is Bruce Subblett( last name might be misspelled) he is the owner of goflies out of Lufkin

albiechaser
01-27-2012, 05:31 AM
Wow Pete, that's very cool, I live here in NC and you got me drooling to give them flatties a shot this spring.
do ya like out going or in coming moving water?
sound like a great fish for my dusty 6-weight

sneakypete
01-29-2012, 07:28 PM
I prefer the tide to be falling, just not too hard.
And I'd never be able to throw the flies I use for them with one of my 6's. On the other hand, I have caught plenty of reds on one, and once when I had even more time on my hands than I do now, I used a 4-weight, 4-pound point, and size 4 flies to catch some fine reds. Never broke off a fish, but it took too long to bring them to hand, so it's not recommended unless you are going to make a sauce piquant out of 'em.
Pete

albiechaser
01-30-2012, 05:49 AM
Thanks Pete, My Albie spot @ Harkers Island has a ton of Flaties about, guess I will bring my 8 weight.
BUT those flaties come home with pappa, other then Crappie thats the only fish I dont pratice Catch/Release with,
mmmmm GOOD

Have a great day
an good fishing to ya

Steve
Raleigh NC