Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a trolling motor problem and need some help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I have a trolling motor problem and need some help.

This may not be the right place to put this thread so I will understand if it gets moved. Anyways we went out this morning to try to put a few slabs in the boat. We motored up the lake to where we wanted to start out at. When we got there I dropped the TM and I didn't have any steering in the controls. I could push the feed and move but I had to manual turn the TM to steer. After a couple of hours it finally started steering to the right but I still couldn't steer to the left.I guess me question is this, considering I regained partial control could the inside of the feed be wet or is it that the control itself is going bad? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. We are heading to Pomme de Terre the second weekend of June to camp with the family and friends and I really need to get it working before then.

Thanks in advance.
    "They call me The Crappie Menace."

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What brand and model is the trollig motor? That may help with getting some responses. Sounds like it is beyond my knowledge for sure but someone on here may be able to help you out.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a Minnkota Power Drive V2 trolling motor. It seemed to be working fine when we were at Bucksaw for our weekend fishing trip. But it rained pretty hard the first couple of days of that and I haven't used it again until today. That's why I think that water might have gotten inside of it and ruined the controller.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Also on the maim board there is a forum for for trolling motors and electronics. That may be a place to ask also. Bassboatcentral.com has lots of good info on it to.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dabe, I happened to notice your post. See if this helps. If you have any follow up be sure to post it on the electronics forum.
    http://tnhatlfs01.thenethouse.com/st...r%20Manual.pdf
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I contacted Minnkota and they e-mailed me a test procedure that I can do on the foot feed and also some instructions on how to test the steering motor. I will check this out this evening and let you all know what the problem was. Thanks for the links and tips you all provided me.

Post Thanks / Like

Foot switch might be going bad...
    Sometimes you're the monkey...Sometimes you're the football

Post Thanks / Like

Might not be just a trolling motor issue with your fish finder having issues too from time to time.

Post Thanks / Like

I have somewhat figured out the problem with the fish finder. It is at the connection to the back of the unit. I just don't know if it is the unit itself or the cable. When it quits I can unplug it and plug it back in and it will come back on. After this weekend I also realized it happens when it gets knocked around pretty hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever splice a minn kota transducer cable? If so, any good suggestions to increase my success level are mucho welcome.

Thanks.

bruce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast