Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fry Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fry Daddy

I got a fry daddy for x-mass. Can anyone tell me some ways to use it to fry my fish. I'm an old skillet man.

Post Thanks / Like

Fry Daddy:
    It's a lot of work but it can be done. Trick it to keep the oil hot. 370 deg F. Get a candy thermometer and use it to find the oil temp.

Fill with Canola or Peanut Oil to the line. Heat up to 370 deg F first. Only put in one or two fillets at a time. If you add too many at one time the oil temp drops and the fish won't be crispy as it should. Cook for about 3 to 6 minutes until fish flesh is flaky white.

Drain and eat right away.

I prepare my fillets with a mix of corn meal and flour 2 to 1. Add some salt and pepper and other spices if you like. Crack an egg and beat in a bowl. Dip fillets in the egg batter and drain a few seconds and then coat in the cornmeal/flour mixture. Drop into the hot oil of the fry daddy.

I like to add or use "Zatarain's New Orleans Seasoned Fish Fry Breading Mixture for my fish. It's got cayenne pepper, garlic and onion in it and I just like it better than plain old cornmeal/flour.

Here lately I have just been cooking my fish in the skillet as I can cook more at one time and get done faster.

NOTE: as the batter comes off the fish in the fry daddy it starts to accumulate in the bottom of the oil and sort of insulates the oil from the heater. After a while the batter coats so much of the bottom of the fry daddy that the oil won't reach 370 deg F. You may have to figure a way to get that crud out of the bottom so. I have not figured out how to get the fry daddy to work very good unless I start out with fresh oil.

You can filter the oil after you are done and save it in the frig. But be careful as that oil gets hot and you must be very careful with it.

Quote Originally Posted by KingFish
    I got a fry daddy for x-mass. Can anyone tell me some ways to use it to fry my fish. I'm an old skillet man.
    Regards,

Moose1am

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Kingfish ...

Quote Originally Posted by KingFish
    Unless you intend to use the Frydaddy exclusively for fish, and nothing else (without an "oil change" between) .... I suggest you use the Frydaddy for French Fries, and continue to skillet fry the fish (preferrably a large iron skillet) ........ IMHO that's the way to go. ........ luck2ya .... cp

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Its hard to beat one of those old cast iron skillets!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

All the fish I ever ate in my past were cooked in one of them big cast iron skillets.

These days I use a big tefflon coated frying pan that's much lighter. Those big cast iron skillets are heavy and last forever. I still have one somewhere around the house.

Dayum, All this talk about frying fish made me get a bag of fillets out of the freezer and have fish for dinner last night. And then for lunch today.

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Last edited by Moose1am; 03-28-2006 at 10:36 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

If you are cooking a small amount of fish the fry daddy is a great way to cook, It doesnt burn the oil as fast as it does using a iron skillet, you can drain your oil if you need to cook something else in your fry daddy, just keep your oil in the icebox until you are ready to use again, remember to cook only about 3-4 small pieces at a time or 2 large pieces at time so your temp. wont cool off to fast, it also great to cook your fries/onion rings/tater tots first. I use a presto deep fryer that you can get at Wally World, for about $25.00 or so, it comes with a basket and has a temp. gauge to set you desire temp. & it dishwasher safe unlike the fry daddy. Hope this was helpful, let me know if you need anymore help.

road runner
    catch them on the run

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Fry GrandPappy and Love it. Just put a candy thermometer on the side and go to town. The trick to cooking fish is the same as with any fryer - proper temperature (the oil @365 and the fish at room temp), smaller thinner cuts of fish, clean oil (preferably canola or peanut, IMO) and don't overload (small batches will never fail you). I put the oven on 200 at the same time I start the oil to heating - then I layer a metal baking pan with paper towels, each time a batch is finished frying - into the oven it goes. When all the fish is finished, it will all still be just perfect.

Obviously, the Fry Grandpappy (and especially the Fry Daddy) aren't for entertaining the neighborhood - but they will do a bang up job for up to 4 people.

2 to 1 ratio of Alabama King Cornmeal to All Purpose Flour, add seasoning to taste. Dry fish completely with paper towels, dredge in cornmeal mixture, quickly dip each side into egg wash (2 parts egg, 1 part water - scrambled), then dredge again with cornmeal mixture - cook and eat.

TJ-

P.S. Each time you remove a batch of fish, allow the oil to "reheat" to 365 degrees before dropping the next batch. Remember, smaller batches are the ONLY way to fry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    You've got that right! I like the deep skillets. Almost like a dutch oven.
    Keeps the splatter factor down.

Fry Daddys are really good for fish or chicken nuggets!
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)