Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New boat shopping

Post Thanks / Like

Default New boat shopping

I have been looking at boats since I got started jig fishing. I went down to Pro gator and sat in the 154s. I really liked the Moores. He told me they would move the seats to accomodate my size: 6'3" 300 lbs. I also liked the fact that I could turn the seat without hitting the stick. This is something I could not do in a 754 VS. Are there any pro or cons to the stick steer,fiberglass. Since I have only fished from a small Tracker any help would definetly be welcome. P.S. the price was right too. I am open to all suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Carolina Skiff J16 with stick steer - Very easy to drive and a nice ride, so I would say there is no issue with fiberglass and ss. The Progator 154s looks like it is outfitted nice - I think you would really enjoy it.
    Sam in PA and FL

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at those skiffs online those are neat boats. Looks like you float in about 3 inches of water. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about a war eagle predator also. But I will be fishing in a lot of timber,cypruss knees and stumps alot. Thats kind of why I am leaning towards a stick steer. Plus the Moores give you a ten year hull warranty. All the info is welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, my boat is a puddle floater - you have to push it in water that gets too shallow though. You will love stick steer for fishing stumps - you are right up front and can see everything and without leaving your seat you can just dip a jig.
    Sam in PA and FL

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jarnold View Post
    I have been looking at boats since I got started jig fishing. I went down to Pro gator and sat in the 154s. I really liked the Moores. He told me they would move the seats to accomodate my size: 6'3" 300 lbs. I also liked the fact that I could turn the seat without hitting the stick. This is something I could not do in a 754 VS. Are there any pro or cons to the stick steer,fiberglass. Since I have only fished from a small Tracker any help would definetly be welcome. P.S. the price was right too. I am open to all suggestions.
    I have been looking at the 154 for about 5 years..Leroy and his family are good folks.Thumbs Up.If you do buy one please give me some feedback..

Does the 154 have plenty of room?
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Call Don at Legend craft boats , he is a small all welded aluminum boat builder that can custom build to your specs. I know for a fact he stands behind his boats. The company is located in Alexander just outside Little Rock , Arkansas.

http://www.legendcraft.com/
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

For me up front I could turn to my left and not hit the stick. The rod box is an option that can be removed. He also stated that he would move the livewell. Now there is not much storage except at the bow under the trolling motor. There seemed as much room in front than a 754vs. The boat seemes very well made and the at the shop seemed to care about what they were doing. I love the seats he uses. they are very sturdy.They use a 2 7/8" post and heavy duty seat. It has no cupholders or compartment for your jig boxes. As for as getting up and walking back and forth no problem. I just have not fished enough to know whether to go with a set-up like the154s, 754vs or go ahead and move up a boat like the predator or tracker configuration.

Post Thanks / Like

If you think you will ever get into spider rigging or fishing with a buddy up front, I would look at the other configs. If you're a single pole only kind of guy, the stick steers might be the ticket.

I just bought an Excel Crappie 860 and love it. Excel makes a stick steer boat too. You might check out their website while you're shopping. http://www.excelboats.net/

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the excell 860 that is a real nice layout.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast