Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What is the best bluegill/redear lake outside of Ky/Barkley Lakes???

Post Thanks / Like

Question What is the best bluegill/redear lake outside of Ky/Barkley Lakes???

Is there another good bluegill/redear lake closer to the middle of the state other than Ky/Barkley lake? Any info appreciated. PM if you want.
    Thanks,
    Bassky

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bassky View Post
    Is there another good bluegill/redear lake closer to the middle of the state other than Ky/Barkley lake? Any info appreciated. PM if you want.
    Thanks,
    Bassky
    Bassky ... the only one I know of is Cedar Creek Lake. Supposedly (according to the report from Cedar Creek Lake Outfitters 5/17/11) the gills & crackers were bedding, and quality fish were being caught (back then). I'm hoping to get a chance to try it around the next full moon, myself.

If it wasn't so small, and crowded (fish & anglers), and the Shad hadn't survived the eradication efforts of the KDFWR ... Cedar Creek could have been a rival of KY/Barkley lakes, for big gills & crackers. The Crappie would probably have done better, too.
    I've caught several "good sized" crackers ... and I've seen pics of a couple of 2lb+ crackers ... but you have to wade thru a ton of little ones, before you'd have a chance at anything >6" long.

Some people seem to be able to catch some good sized gills out of Taylorsville Lake ... but, I've only heard about them, never actually done it myself.

Have you fished those two lakes off of I75 (between Alexandria & Lexington) ... around Dry Ridge & Falmouth ??? (Williamstown Lake & Kincaid Lake)

Cedar Creek is a hour drive south of LEX ... so it would be ~ 2.5hr drive for you +/- .... and I'd hate to recommend the lake, and have you not have a productive trip.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how far you are form Dale Hollow but the Bluegill...Shellcracker bite is going on now in about 5 feet of water. If you can get there in the next 4 days or so you will experience something like you have probably never seen. Shellcrackers mostly in the one to two pound range and Bluegill averaging a pound or better..they are huge!!

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

I went to Boltz Lake 5/27 just off of I-75 near Dry Ridge/Williamstown area. Caught around 20 crappie, mostly small, 7-8" and around 20 bluegills, around 7-9". Caught crappie on float and minnow and the bluegill on float and wax worms. Kincaid is loaded with 4-6'' bluegill, stunted like the crappie. Williamstown right now, you do not want to fish there with all of the skiiers and jetskis, plus all the drunks. You can only fish in early spring or late fall on this lake, seriously! I have fished CedarCreek lake once and fished for bass from the bank. Can't get down to Dale Hollow right now.
    Bassky