Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: The curse...has...been...BROKEN!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile The curse...has...been...BROKEN!!

I have been fishing since I was a kid. I have caught bluegill, crappie, perch, channel cats, and bullheads. But for some reason I could never seem to catch a bass!:o
    Well, today I caught not one, but three!Hands Clapping
    Each was around 9" long and probably weighed about a pound. Nothing to brag about, but I can add another species to my list.
    I went out to Bowling Lake this morning, as it was beautiful day! Not much wind, temp in the mid 50's, plenty of sunshine. Perfect fishing weather. I also caught a half dozen bluegill. I could see some other gills and some crappie following my lure all the way to shore, but the bites weren't too often. I tried numerous lures, but just not much interest. I went over to one corner of the lake, and found a very active bluegill spawning bed. I could just about count every fish down there! The water was maybe 18" deep. I spent over an hour working that bed with every bait and lure I had, but they were more interested in making babies than eating! (Doesn't that sound like a male?:D)
    In an hour and 15 minutes I got one bite! And that was just before I had to leave to come home. I released him. I never keep fish that are spawning. Gotta have some fish for the future.
    I could see 'em down there playing fish soccer with my bait, heading butting it from one fish to another. "Here, Freddie, you take it!" "I don't want it! Here, Frieda, you take it!" "No way, pal! Here, Fernando, you take it!" And on and on it went. I tried Gulp! worms, I tried salmon eggs, I tried Crappie Nibbles. I suspended the bait from a small bobber, I drug it right into the middle of the nesting site and let it sit, I reeled lures through the middle of the fish.
    I got one bite out of 'em. Oh, well. At least I know where they are! Now, if we could just get some decent weather for a while. It's supposed to rain and storm through Monday.
    I love HIM because HE first loved me.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is your story. Sounds like you had a good day. Bass are a bit annoying, lol. I went out this morning to try out a new baitcaster that Ken sent me, it went pretty good, got a feel for the thing. I wasnt out there to really fish, until I saw some big bass jumping amd swimming rather close to the shore. Saw one that had to be around 24" swim 2 feet from the shore around the baitfish but would jab at anything I tossed out there. Crankbaits, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, jigs, that fat thing wouldn't touch it.