Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Weiss? Who goes from Tenn?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Lake Weiss? Who goes from Tenn?

My Dad and I are planning to run down to Lake Weiss for a day or so. We talked to a fisherman Saturday that told us he went down through Ringold,Ga to get there.
    We will be going the same way down from Knoxville.

So any directions and tips as to where to put in and where to fish will be greatly appreciated. We will be going first or second weekend in April. Will the crappie be spawning then?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Charger ....

You will be going the same way we went, from Lexington ... we went to JR's Marina area (stayed in a private residence, JR's was booked solid !!)

See my post on fishing Weiss, this past weekend. Fishing should be good over the next two weeks ... and if it warms back up into the 60's & 70's, and no major downpours occur, the fishing should be excellent. Keep track of the weather in that area ... and plan your trip accordingly. Most fish are still not spawning, but they are sure getting ready to (males are turning dark, females are plump with eggs). The lake is still down about 3ft from full pool, and a slow rise wouldn't hurt things at all. This cold spell will hold them off for a short period ... but, they hadn't backed off from the banks very far, as of this past weekend. We caught ours in 11-17ft of water, in most cases ... with a few coming from under docks & off shallow flats (<8ft of water). It's "good" now, but it can only get "better" over the next couple of weeks ... weather permitting. .......... luck2ya ......cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks pappy, I could really use some directions though. Where shoudl I get off I-75 and head over to Weiss? Also, I will get a lake map when we get there, where should we try for crappie?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Charger ..

as far as "where" to fish, once you get there ...... depends on where you stay. If you are around the Little River area (JR's Marina or Cedar Bluff, Ala), you won't be far from the action. The key will be what the weather dictates where the fish will be, at that time. Your best bet would be to look at what the majority of anglers are doing, at the time ... where they are, and how they're fishing ... and get like 'em !!
    Do get a map, and follow the deep water to wherever you go ... even if it means going halfway across the lake to get around the corner from where you are ... the lake has lots of stumps and sandbars, just waiting for you to make a navigation error.

And, directions - hmm ... don't know if I'm the right person to answer that question. But, if I'm not mistaken, this is how we went:

We went down I-75 and around Knoxville on the I-40 bypass ... on down I-75 to Ringgold, Ga. ... then took 151 South until it ran into 27 ... followed 27 thru Trion, Ga to Summerville, Ga ... got on 114 there and followed it to the Ga/Ala line ... it changes to 68 at the state lines (same road, just different number) ... we followed 68 to Gaylesville, Ala and went thru there, staying on 68 until we came to 44 ... turned onto 44 and followed it until we came to the right turn onto the road into JR's Marina.
    Take a look at Mapquest.com for more detailed instructions ... use the zoom in function to follow my path. If you use Mapquest's "get directions" method ... it will take you a different route (but, you'll end up in the same place ... unless you are staying at a different area of the lake - in which case you may be better off following the Mapquest directions to that part of the lake). Mapquest directs you to take I-75 to I-24 to I-59 then on to 35 into Gaylesville (to get to JR's Marina) ... which will cost you almost an extra hour of driving time. From Morristown, you should have a 3 to 3.5hr drive by my directions ..... a 4 to 4.5hr drive by Mapquest directions. I suggest you make the trip in the daytime .... Georgia state roads don't seem to have many highway signs, to indicate what road you're on, until you come to a town. :o (you might even want to print out the instructions and maps from Mapquest, of whichever route you take ... and use the "Zoom in" feature to find the names of the small towns you pass thru/by along the way -- that'll help keep you on the right path, even though you don't see highway number signs along the way). ........ luck2ya ..... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Take 75S to 24W to 59S to exit 205 (Collinsville) turn left onto 68 and take it through Leesburg into Centre. When you get to Centre you can either go north on hwy 9 to fish areas around the river or go east on hwy 22 to fish Cowan, Spring creeks or Hog Island. Been going for 16yrs, usually to Pruetts and fish Cowan and Spring creeks. Can't go until Easter this year though, have to wait for school to be out so the wife can go. We have went every way we could see on the map but what I told you is the simplest and quickest. You can run the speed limit the whole way with any boat (maybe a little faster if you hook that red car up to it!).

The weather forecast looks real good for both the first and second weeks. Highs in the upper 70s lows in the 50s.
    Last edited by Mopar Matt; 03-20-2006 at 08:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck and let us know how you do. Roybouy and i fish there from time to time and we have had mixed results this year. I think it was a mix of something and Wild Turkey! LOL.

Let It Rip!
    LET IT RIP!

ewc Guest

Charger-

The route cp gave you is the same as I travel from Knoxville. Exit off I-75s @ 151 (or Ringgold exit). JR's is about an hour from the interstate at that point. From Knoxville it took 2 hr and 45 min last trip. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks for the info.

sinkum called me last night and told me its been a while sinse he has been there and thought I would probably have to troll to catch any right now.
    We are wanting to go and float fish. Does anyone know if their in the shallows down there yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar Matt
    Take 75S to 24W to 59S to exit 205 (Collinsville) turn left onto 68 and take it through Leesburg into Centre. When you get to Centre you can either go north on hwy 9 to fish areas around the river or go east on hwy 22 to fish Cowan, Spring creeks or Hog Island. Been going for 16yrs, usually to Pruetts and fish Cowan and Spring creeks. Can't go until Easter this year though, have to wait for school to be out so the wife can go. We have went every way we could see on the map but what I told you is the simplest and quickest. You can run the speed limit the whole way with any boat (maybe a little faster if you hook that red car up to it!).

The weather forecast looks real good for both the first and second weeks. Highs in the upper 70s lows in the 50s.
    Matt, after we get on 68, which way to JR's Marina?

Post Thanks / Like

Take GA exit 312 and follow to HWY 53. vear left on 53 and it is about 15 miles to Rome.. Get on HWY 20 in Rome and it is about another 20 miles into Cedar Bluff.

I live on exit 306 and it takes me about 45 minutes to hit 53 and go through Rome to the Cobia Bridge State Ramp on HWY 68 in Cedar Bluff. This ramp is about 5 minutes from JR's place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast