PDA

View Full Version : another trolling motor question

ray
03-20-2006, 03:42 PM
need new TM - question- minnkota auto pilot, which control system? long cord or the cordless unit, either the wrist strap? hand held? if cordless?:rolleyes:

HOTSPOT
03-21-2006, 09:54 AM
It comes with the foot control, but do yourself a favor and get the Co Pilot addon module, you will LOVE it. Keep the foot control on the boat in a waterproof bag and a backup.

Billy
03-21-2006, 09:58 AM
I agree....get the copilot too. Love mine. Billy

drill instructor
03-21-2006, 10:16 AM
with the co pilot is the speed adjustable or just 3 settings?

crappie dog
03-21-2006, 10:35 AM
DI,

My co-pilot has 10 settings. Jigsatwitchin'..................cd

prchjerker
03-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Save your money,Id recommend the Power drive with a co-pilot over the Autopilot.I my opinion the autopilot feature isnt worth the extra money.The C-pilot on the other hand is an awesome add on feature.Good luck.

ShilohRed
03-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Save your money,Id recommend the Power drive with a co-pilot over the Autopilot.I my opinion the autopilot feature isnt worth the extra money.The C-pilot on the other hand is an awesome add on
feature.Good luck.

Why do you think the auto pilot is not worth the extra $$?
I know I love mine. And if and when i need a new Trolling motor it will have again. Would not have the trolling motor with out it.
I can sit it and fish.
Point it toward a spot and go..
Pete

prchjerker
03-21-2006, 02:26 PM
It basically takes a compass heading.Its not like you can use it to follow a contour or anything using it.If you trolling a flat its not that much of help over a power drive.Like I said IMO I wouldnt choose to spend the extra money on it, Id spend it on the copilot.Im glad youre happy with yours.

ShilohRed
03-21-2006, 02:37 PM
It basically takes a compass heading.Its not like you can use it to follow a contour or anything using it.If you trolling a flat its not that much of help over a power drive.Like I said IMO I wouldnt choose to spend the extra money on it, Id spend it on the copilot.Im glad youre happy with yours.

Now there is where your bad wrong. Try to fish in Wind or current. And its well worth it.
I know its does not follow the contours. but I have a buddy that has the Motor guide and it will not do that. And its made for it.
'I use mine in current all the time. Set the speed and point it. And the trolling motor slows the boat and keeps it heading right. If the wind blows your motor off course. You have to keep up with it.
But with the auto pilot it does that for you.
Pete

Corn Cob
03-21-2006, 04:31 PM
I have to agree with Shilo. The AP is the best acquisition I've made for a boat. With wife, daughter, and 2 grandkids I just point out a landmark and go. With the remote control foot all you need to do is adjust what landmar and it readjusts its heading. It really is tops below the dams when you are drift fishing and not having correct the boat all the time. More time to feel the bottom and not getting hung while correcting the boat direction.

treepotato
03-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Hi Shiloh & corncob,
I have a question you guys can probably answer. I bought a boat last year that is equipped with an AP and i don't have a clue how to use it or if it even works right. I just use it like a regular trolling motor with the speeds and all and keep myself in position with my foot pedal. When i troll i just set the foot control switch to constant and guide myself around with the foot control watching my depth finder. threre is an off/on switch but it doesn't seem to affect anything. Could you guys give me a quick lesson on how to use it and what i have to do to set the compass on something. I don't have an owners manual so I would be greatful for whatever advice you might have. Thanks alot!!.............treepotato

robbor
03-21-2006, 07:05 PM
Am I the only one not enaored by MK auto pilot??? I have one and it work ok. It seems to constantly drift and readjust for heading. It does not do to hot at low speeds and in wind. I have had it hickup every now and then and try to spin itself to death. I have the corded foot pedal and mine is bad and needs to be replaced. Also Damn noisysteering (clunk) when you are close and trying to sneak up on fish.
For the guy who just asked how to use. Get the trolling motor running then push the red button on the trolling motor head and then tell it where you want it to go. The red light should stay on.

Barnacle Bill
03-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Am I the only one not enaored by MK auto pilot??? I have one and it work ok. It seems to constantly drift and readjust for heading. It does not do to hot at low speeds and in wind. I have had it hickup every now and then and try to spin itself to death. I have the corded foot pedal and mine is bad and needs to be replaced. Also Damn noisysteering (clunk) when you are close and trying to sneak up on fish.
For the guy who just asked how to use. Get the trolling motor running then push the red button on the trolling motor head and then tell it where you want it to go. The red light should stay on.

A few years ago MK had a run of bad circuit boards that was causing that problem. They were replacing them free of charge. Another thing that will cause it is if the shaft is not within 5 of verticle. This needs to be checked when the boat is normally loaded.

ILUVCRAPPIEFISHIN
03-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Will the copilot trolling motors maintain the direction they are pointed? It would seem that the only advantage of autopilot would be to accomadate the wind drift.

Barnacle Bill
03-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Will the copilot trolling motors maintain the direction they are pointed? It would seem that the only advantage of autopilot would be to accomadate the wind drift.

That is a major advantage because the wind can change the direction its pointed. I would much rather have the AP than the co-pilot.

crappie fisher
03-21-2006, 11:04 PM
Well my question is how long and how hard have you guys pushed the autopilot?I read were a striper guide that uses his everyday said the AP would not hold up.Thats the only bad report ive read.

ShilohRed
03-22-2006, 12:47 AM
Well my question is how long and how hard have you guys pushed the autopilot?I read were a striper guide that uses his everyday said the AP would not hold up.Thats the only bad report ive read.

Mine will be 3 years old in June. And theres days it runs 3/4 wide open for hours and still holding up./
A lot of people beat theres to death. hitting waves and the head whipping around will tear up the auto pilot.
I run mine for 45 minutes at a time holding the 20ft boat in current and then do it over again. So far so good.

As for the auto pilot mine also has the red button on the head. Point it where you would like it to go. then hit the button and let it work.
Pete

possum1
03-22-2006, 07:00 AM
I striper fish about 9 months of the year (retired) and crappie fish the rest of the time, I would rather have auto pilot than rods and reels! Co pilot is great, use mine all the time,but auto pilot is far better. Well worth the money. possum1

Corn Cob
03-22-2006, 10:41 AM
I have a calibration procedure for the compass board from Minn Kota in MS Word document that a lot have used to make the erratic operation go away. If this doesn't work then you may need a new compass board. If you'd like I can email it to anyone.

Corn Cob
03-22-2006, 10:45 AM
I'll try to attach the Word document.

speck chaser
03-22-2006, 12:27 PM
I also would'nt take any thing for my ap it is the best investiment i have made i troll 90 percent of the time i just point it and let it go till i have to change directions this frees you up to reel in the fish and net your buddies
i am going on my 2nd year using it no problems at all use it all day long on weekend every week

crappiechaser2
03-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Hey Speck Chaser, or anybody that wants to put their two cents in. I have some questions about the Trolling motor with the autopilot and co-pilot. Do you have both? When you are running on auto pilot and, say you want to stop and reverse, how do you do that? Do you use the co-pilot? I have a foot control Motor Guide now and I have arthritis and it is so difficult to control my boat with my foot. I want to get the BEST thing I can get for my situation when I buy one. Hope you or someone will enlighten me about this. I have read all the post and it seems like this is the answer. I have a 17 ft. alum. basstracker and I want something that will keep me going in the high winds. Do I need 24 volt or will 12 volt do? Thanks in advance.

crappie fisher
03-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Crappiechaser I am like you I have hip and back problems.So I am wanting something easier to handle my boat I have 17ft caroilna skiff.It sits high in the water and is light also.So that makes hard to troll with if the wind is blowing.I just dont wnat to waste the money on the A.P. if want do what it says and want last long.So the way the guys are talking sounds like what i want.I just have few days left to buy one that is on sale is $589.00 for a 12vlt 55lbs thrust 48" shaft is that a good deal??

speck chaser
03-29-2006, 10:54 AM
I have the auto pilot 55 like i said it is the bestthing i have bought for trolling
it works great in the wind as far as changhing directions i use a gps also
I just use the foot pad to turn the boat and head back alog the course
I just fished if I caught several I dont have any thing negative to say about mine

crappie dog
03-29-2006, 03:46 PM
I have both the autopilot and copilot. It works GREAT!! I like to troll out of the back of my boat. I fish by myself and it works great. I set the autopilot and set my trolling rods up in the back of the boat. Then I use my copilot remote to change direction and adjust speed when needed. I take out the boat seat and use a folding outdoor chair with the arm rests. I have a Tracker PT185. It is a sweet setup. I have the 12V 55lb thrust Power drive and it keeps me moving in 20 mph winds. Crappie Fisher, if you can get one for $589.00 jump on it. I spent $679.00 on mine. Would not trade it for anything!!!!!

Lewis
04-23-2006, 03:45 PM
I have a calibration procedure for the compass board from Minn Kota in MS Word document that a lot have used to make the erratic operation go away. If this doesn't work then you may need a new compass board. If you'd like I can email it to anyone.
I observed your message about having the calibration procedure for a Minn Kota trolling motor. I would like to accept your offer of having it emailed to me. Please email it to lewislamp%@comcast.net
With much appreciation

crappiekiller2
04-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Hey CF sounds like a good deal. check out Iboats.com. they also have good prices on trolling motors.
I just got my AP hooked up and went out on the river with it, auto pilot works great. I know I'll enjoy it.:)

Corn Cob
04-24-2006, 06:59 AM
I observed your message about having the calibration procedure for a Minn Kota trolling motor. I would like to accept your offer of having it emailed to me. Please email it to lewislamp%@comcast.net
With much appreciation

Lewis,

E mail sent. Hope it helps.