Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Taylorsville Crappie, Any pointers?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Taylorsville Crappie, Any pointers?

I'm new to crappie.com, and taylorsville lake. Anyone here fish this lake, and know where a Newb could start to catch crappie?
    "Dats.........uhh......NO-ICE.........FUSH!"

-Al Linder

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Waylonh ...

when fishing Taylorsville for Crappie, I target blowdowns on shaded banks - casting weedless jigs. Secondly, I target standing timber (esp Cedar hulks or hardwood trees that grow in groups, and any isolated clump of timber). From now until late May ... (now) I'd be working the blowdowns on deep banks, and the outside edges of the main lake stands of trees -- working my way to shallow wood cover, as the water warms and the spawning ritual starts taking place (late April into mid May).
    Summer days I am mostly fishing the shaded banks & submerged cover (downed trees, stumps, standing timber) from daylight til midday. Vertical Casting a jig , or minnow fishing the stands of timber in the creeks, in 15-20ft of water, will work during the rest of the day.
    Fall is much like Spring ... without the spawn, and in deeper water. I usually target them in Cedar hulks, about 8ft deep (in 15-25ft of water around the trees) ... using minnows/float, or Vertical Casting a jig.
    I don't fish the Winter months, much ... unless there's a couple of days warming trend (Dec thru Feb). Then, if I go, I usually target the blowdowns on deep water banks. I usually only go for a few hours, just to get out of the house ... so I fish from the bank. Or, actually ... I should say I "did" use to do that My downed trees got flooded off, so I haven't ventured over there in the Winter months, in a couple of years.

Taylorsville's water level fluctuates greatly, when heavy rains occur in the area. Here's a site that you may want to check out, before making a trip to the lake : http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/wc/reports/lkreport.html
    Click on the "Todays Pool Feet" number of Taylorsville lake (on this chart) and it will show you a graph of the lake levels, outflow rate, and the precip levels that occurred during that time (and for the previous 12 months).
    You may also want to know this:
    The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers regularly updates information pertaining to operating conditions at Taylorsville Lake. The public may access the information 24-hours a day, 7-days a week by calling 502-477-8606 --- they used to give a fishing report, along with lake levels and temps - but, I don't know if that's still the case (I haven't called the number in a long time - it's long distance from here, and I can find out all the info I need to know on the above mentioned website).

Welcome to Crappie.com ........... luck2ya .......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

WOW! That's an answer!

THANKS! :D :D :D
    "Dats.........uhh......NO-ICE.........FUSH!"

-Al Linder