Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Questions for Bottomline and Big Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Question Questions for Bottomline and Big Crappie

I noticed a couple of things on the roll call thread that I wanted to follow up on. I think I got the names right. If not, I apologize.

Saugeye fishing - The state started stocking saugeye a couple of yesrs ago at Acton. So far, they haven't been growing at the predicted rate, but I'm hoping that things will improve. The little ones we've picked up have been on crappie jigs. What's your preferred method/lure for targeting larger saugeye?

Kiser Lake - We went up there once to check it out, but now that we have a canoe, we're thinking it could be a good lake to hit later this spring. I remember a large lily pad bed on the south side of the lake and a couple of rock piers that stick out on both the north and south shores. The map we have shows an old foundation down near the dam. What can we expect to find in the lake and what lures are most productive? We saw a couple of guys trolling for wipers when we were there. One guy rowed while the other guy fished. We saw them tie into one.
    Thanks for any suggestions. - Roberta.
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Roberta hi, I usually fish the back side of the lake by the campground. there seems to be bigger crappie there. i fish the north shore by the bait shop where you rent boats 300yds from bait shop 50-100yds off shore. there are a bunch of sunken brush there its where i caught a 15 1/2'' and many 12-14''. all along that bank is good, also if you feel like rowing that far north bay is good in 5-7ft. of water. i mainly use live minnows on a #6 GOLD hook beneath a slip float 2-4ft. deep.
    Last edited by the big crappie 2; 03-20-2006 at 02:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

roberta,i'm neither of the guys you're looking for,but i do a little saugeye fishing at various lakes here.
    springtime is a good time to troll/cast cranks such as shadraps,thundersticks etc in shallow water.jigs/ttails,jig/minnie,or 3 way rigged minnie while still fishing will also work.about late may-june i start trolling/drifting crawler harnesses,jig/crawler with 1/2 a crawler,and casting jig/crawler with very sloooow retrieve.at times vertical jigging blade baits and spoons will pay off also.that's usually a cold water pattern,but i've found it to produce at times,in mid-summer.also try a slip bobber w/minnie,fished just off bottom.
    hope that helps some.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Roberta
    I agree with Misfit He is exactly right. But one of my favorite ways this time of year is a slip sinker and a chub from the bank near a creek channel.
    People drive by and say "isn't to good to be catfishing"and I say "but it beats seating at home" 4-6 in chub on a circle hook. About bladebaits, all I can say is Vibe', the other catch fish but the vibe is great right now. If you have any other question give me a holler.
    Tim
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

But one of my favorite ways this time of year is a slip sinker and a chub from the bank near a creek channel.
    those nice fat chubs are hard to beat anytime.especially in fall when the eyes are putting on the feedbag

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for the feedback

I figure when we head up to Kiser, we'll cover as much of the lake as we can. Paddling a canoe is fast and pretty easy unless you're fighting wind or current. I look forward to finding some of those slabs. Doug said something about fishing up at the campground, so I'll be sure to pass along the info.

Looks like I carry everything including the kitchen sink when we try to find some decent saugeyes. ;-) I think the first place we'll go early this year is Four Mile Creek which is the main feeder into Acton. We can put in the canoe and cover the length of it from Loop Road to the main lake. Come summer, we'll try trolling the channel with a crawler on a bottom bouncer and see what happens. Let ya know.

We're in for a big snow storm tonight and tomorrow. Maybe this will be the last blast of winter and we can get on with the fishing. -Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Amen on that last blast.
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member