Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting over.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Starting over.

All my life I've had hand me downs, and old stuff I'v had to fix.
    Crap bought at sales and etc.Doh It's not all crap, just mismatched etc.

I'm thinking of getting rid of it all and starting over.
    Yard sale, or donation to the Scouts, etc.
    Then....and this is where some advice would come in handy, then....I'd start over with a trip to Bass Pro or ect.

Some of you guys have been wiped out by a Hurricane, Fire, Tornado or divorce:D. You know what it is to start over.
    What did you do?:p
    Where'd you start?
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

NIMROD is online now Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

If it was me , I'd go online and compare prices including shipping. Sometimes it is cheaper for somethings than local
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I was wiped out by two divorces. I would not say I started over, I have pretty much bought stuff at sales and had a few people buy a few things for me to help out. I am still trying to get back in the game sort of speak. Finally decided it was a must to go to school and get an education. I have no advice for you as to what to do to get started, I just wanted to say good luck and I hope you get some better and more useful things this time. I have found however with all I have not, I have what I need. Heres wishing you some good stuff and lots of fish catching

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Buying new stuff is fun, but as already mentioned, check prices online first. You can get some good quality at alot better prices from ordering in alot of cases. So that being said, I guess my advice is for you knowing what you want BEFORE getting it.:p
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had to complete a "do over" once myself, wasn't easy. Start by making a list of needs/wants from greatest importance to least. I mow some yards on the side and it pretty much helps me finance the extra's I'd like. I'll save up till I have what I need to purchase the first item and then keep working till I can buy the rest. Sometimes it may take a couple of years to complete my list. Sounds easy, but a lot of sweat and hard work goes into what I buy so I make sure I research what I want very well before I spend my hard earned dollars. Also, don't try to buy everything you need at once, unless of course you can purchase and remain debt free. Being a slave to what you own isn't always a good thing and sometimes can take away from the enjoyment if you stress each month when the bill rolls in. I always give my hand me downs to someone who is just starting out or has a child they are wanting to introduce to the outdoors. This is just what I've found works best for me, good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

That's all good advice.
    I've seen guys cast so smoothly, effortlessly, and the eqipment works so well.....when I think of starting over with the good stuff, that's what's on my mind.
    Comparing prices is good. Most of that stuff is reletive anyway.
    I want to go shopping where they can tell me what I need, and show me how to use it.
    When I leave that Store etc, I dont want to have any questions and dont want to come back complaining....!

I'd want a Crappie Rod set up complete, and a Bass Rod the same.

Maybe I'd even spring for a whole #4 fly rod complete. Fly fishing is a great sport when the fish are biting. It also can come up with some Blue Gill as Catfish Bait.
    Catfishing is done with a Trot line. I have a good setup for that.

I'm pretty sedentary these days. Lake is close, fish are plentiful. I just need some help in learning to make it all happen. I dont want my old klunky gear to get in the way.

Post Thanks / Like

If It was me I would do this little by little. Unless your LOADED!!!!! If your not LOADED,I would replace my old stuff with new stuff,like a rod a week and so on.
    A crappie day fishin beats working any day!!

Post Thanks / Like

check out those spinning reels with the wide dia spools....I just got one this year, they cast real good.....BnM makes some great crappie rods......

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

They make a good point, you need to decide if you're going after one species only or several. How do you want to fish, cork and a bobber means you can get by with a pretty cheap rod. If you need to be able to feel the bite, I recommend a graphite rod. There are some cheaper ones out there and that's the route I would probably go if I was starting out.

There are some spinning outfits and I use them but for casting, I prefer a spincast like the Diawa GC80 with 6 lb. test fluorocarbon. It's primarily for crappie and panfish but I've caught big fish on it as well. (around $52 at Bass Pro)

Any way you cut it, fishing is expensive. When you can, I would recommend buying something you will still be using for many years down the road. Starting out, I used to buy junk that I was lucky to get one good year out of. A neighbor pointed out to many I could have purchased a good reel for about 3-4 times as much and in the long run I would be saving money. He was right about that but most of us can't do a whole lot at first. Remember, fishing equipment are just tools but it's much easier to work with good tools than using one when you wished you had something else.

I totally agree that it is best not to go in debt for stuff. That little $25 reel could end up costing you twice as much or more if you don't get it paid off on your credit card.

Being more specific will get you more feedback you can use on this forum. A lot of good people who will give you a good steer.

Good Luck! You're already on the right track by asking for several opinions on what you need to do. You may only find one or two suggestions that will work for you but they should save you both money and time.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes on the right stuff. I had experience in the Salt Chuck years ago.

I think I'd get one Crappie setup first. I like that suggestion on the wide spool reels.
    That's why I'm going to a place that knows, and can teach.
    I hardly ever fish for Bass. I catch plenty Bass fishing for Crappie.

I've always been a Fly Fisherman.
    Way back, in Alaska I fished for Rainbow a lot.
    I finally won a Graphite rod in a Contest.
    I bought the line etc for it and went out to make a dent in the Rainbow population.
    Frankly it felt like a Broomstick. I went back to my old Fenwick Glass Rod.

Graphite is for Halibut!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast