Which Garmen waas gps is the most simple to use and do I have to
    download a map of each lake I fish?

Crappie Cowboy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie cowboy

Crappie Cowboy
    cowboy I just purchased the Garmin 76 maps. it is pretty detailed with what comes preloaded. But you can purchase fishing hot spots for the east at about $100 and it has every lake in the eastern US and it has every creek boat ramp and marina - it is pretty neat. The Unit cost $299
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie Cowboy
    Hey Cowboy,

I love my Geko 301 and it doesn't have any mapping capabilities. I use it on the "Map" screen, which simply shows me/boat in the middle and up to 9 waypoints (brushpiles) around me depending on the coverage on the screen, which I can set to as little as 50-feet or up to 800 miles.

You don't need a map to get within a few hundred feet of a known brushpile.

If the waypoint is not on the screen when I shut down the big motor in the area I increase the coverage on the screen (up arrow button) until the waypoint comes on the screen and then guide the boat towards the waypoint with the trolling motor and reduce the coverage on the screen (down arrow) until it is back to 50 feet and the waypoint is near the boat. I can guide the boat around the brush pile while fishing it without ever seeing brush on my graphs.

The Geko 201 is also WAAS enabled and works the same for finding brush piles. I also have an Etrex Legend and it works the same and can get down to as little as 20 feet on the screen - has a larger screen too than the Gekos.

Be sure and have your WAAS enabled and your map orientation "Ahead" on the Geko and "UP" on the Legend. Then they will show the waypoints around you according to the direction you are facing and not North.

The Legend is less expensive and does have mapping capabilities if you every want to download maps. It also comes with a data cable (for conecting to a computer), which you have to purchase for the Geko. Be sure and get a power cable for either unit as they will eat up a lot of batteries without one.

Our Walmart had the Legend for under $200 and I bought the Geko from Sailnet.com on sale for under $200 (retails for about $250).

Either one will put you right on your brushpiles every time.

Hope this helps.

FISH ON!
    Jerry
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default GPS Recommendation

I would go with what Jerry Blake Said.

I have the eTrex Vista which is similar to the eTrex Legand.

Garmin Mapsource sells the Fishing Hot Spot digital maps that can be downloaded from your pc to the eTrex units.

But you really don't need the maps. They are pretty expensive for what you really get.

The WAAS GPS units are best used to find a known waypoint or brushpile. That is where they really shine.

I have two map regions for my Vista and each cost around 100 bucks. So I had to spend 200 bucks for the Fishing Hotspots which comes with one region and I had to buy the other region. Total cost was 200 bucks just for the maps. And I only have six states and not all the lakes for all the states that I purchased. The contours are not that accurate either. They get you in the ball park but to use the map to find anything will take a long time of searching in the general area with the depth finder. At least that is what I found with the map of Patoka Lake. The Kentucy Lake map was a little bit better and I was able to find the creek channel using the map while fishing in Sulfur creek.

I was hoping that the fhs maps sold by garmin would be much more detailed and accurate.

Crappie Cowboy
    Regards,

Moose1am

fishn Guest

Cool

I have been wanting a GPS too, and have been looking at the GPSmap76 and Legend too. One piece of advice, check for them on ebay and find someone with excellent feedback and you can get a really good deal. The legend can probably be bought for $150-$160, and the GPSmap 76 can be purchased for about $220-$250. Sometimes you can find a used GPSmap 76 with the Fishin Hotspots already loaded. Also, check out Kentucky Hydrographix website. You can search for their name, or go to kentuckylakeonline.com and click on maps to find them. They do re-mapping of Ky Lake, including side-scan technology, plus 3-D wireframe drawings that really look good! You find the spots you want and then load the points into your GPS. I am still waiting for a really super bargain, but definitely hope to get their software if I get a GPS. Good fishing, and may the Good Lord be your Guide.
    Mark
    www.fish-n-spin.com (crappie.com sponsor)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishn
    I have been wanting a GPS too, and have been looking at the GPSmap76 and Legend too. One piece of advice, check for them on ebay and find someone with excellent feedback and you can get a really good deal. The legend can probably be bought for $150-$160, and the GPSmap 76 can be purchased for about $220-$250. Sometimes you can find a used GPSmap 76 with the Fishin Hotspots already loaded. Also, check out Kentucky Hydrographix website. You can search for their name, or go to kentuckylakeonline.com and click on maps to find them. They do re-mapping of Ky Lake, including side-scan technology, plus 3-D wireframe drawings that really look good! You find the spots you want and then load the points into your GPS. I am still waiting for a really super bargain, but definitely hope to get their software if I get a GPS. Good fishing, and may the Good Lord be your Guide.
    Mark
    www.fish-n-spin.com (crappie.com sponsor)
    Garmin's website - http://www.garmin.com/outdoor/[/URL] - has a good comparison chart that shows you the features of each unit compared to others.

There is also a waring on their website that they do not honor warranties for units purchased on on-line auctions.

My Geko has developed a loose connection and I need to send it back for repairs (that's why a bought an Etrex - for backup). You can download a free waypoint managing program (I use EasyGPS) from the web so you can download your waypoints to your computer. You can then save, sort, add, delete or even map your waypoints. And, if you ever have a problem with your unit you can upload all your data to another unit from your computer.

FISH ON!
    Jerry
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garmin Etrex Legend

If your looking for a deal on one, My Bass Pro sale catalog has them at the regular $199.99 price, but there's a $30 rebate going now till 8/1/04. Lands up costing you $169.99. There's a $30 rebate on the Vista also. Probably means they will be coming out with a new model soon.

fishn Guest

Jerry,

Thanks for the info, I did not know about the warranty issue with online auctions. I will be particular about who I buy from.

Mark

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crap-king
    cowboy I just purchased the Garmin 76 maps. it is pretty detailed with what comes preloaded. But you can purchase fishing hot spots for the east at about $100 and it has every lake in the eastern US and it has every creek boat ramp and marina - it is pretty neat. The Unit cost $299
    Do you know if those fishing hot spots be loaded on a Garmin 76 marine?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gps

I use a garmin gps map 76 and it is a terrific unit. Maps are downloadable from mapsource and hydrografx. I would rather leave my fishfinder at home than go without my gps. Gps has spoiled the fisherman thank goodness!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast