Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Long trolling (beginner)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long trolling (beginner)

Late this spring I made my first stab at long trolling. I (gulp) converted my Ranger to accomidate 9 rods. 6 up front and 3 in the back for starters. I made my own version of trolling bars and attached Bass Pro (cheep holders) to them. I struggled the first time out, then hit the jack pot that last 2 times I went.At the time I had been with out a job for 13 months. I used (what I had already) my Float-n-fly rods...9-1/2 footers then dropped down to shorter rods progressively to try to keep tangles down. I have a very close friend who guides on my home lake so I got a lot of inside help (locations to start) but I found my own areas that ended up catching a good mess of quality fish. Im just learning, that the rods for pushing are diffrent than long trolling? Right? So here is where I would like your help....I want to start buying the right rods (not the top of the line) but a good working mans rods. I think I need two 14' rods, then two 12' rods...and last I'll use my f-n-f rods 9' 1/2..they are St. Croix. If you will give your recomendations....please ... thanks liftbite P.S. I'm so hooked I'm considering looking into my own jig line...as something for future when I retire.
    A Proud member of Lake Allatoona and Lake Weiss (Team Geezer)

Post Thanks / Like

can push or pull with the BnM trolling rods, they are very nice.....alot of fellas on here get the pinnacle rods from grizzly jig to tight line/vert troll with and seem prettypleased with them....

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to go with 16 and 13 ft to go with your fnf rods. That extra distance will help with tangles and allow you to turn on a tighter radius.