Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Inflatable Pontoon

Post Thanks / Like

Default Inflatable Pontoon

My new ride isn't a kayak or canoe, but I think I'm going to like it. It's an inflatable pontoon boat for one person that I bought at Bass Pro Shop. I didn't even know they made such a thing when I stumbled across it going in to look at a Float Tube that I was pretty sure I wasn't going to get.

My pontoon sits above the water, it has oars to get around in, and it's a dream to cast out of. From my experience with it, I think someone would have to work HARD to intentionally flip it over. It only weighs about 50 pounds is 8 feet long and 4 1/2 feet wide. I have even mounted a Humminbird fish finder in it!

Does anyone else here use an inflatable pontoon? I would love to hear from you.

Take Care

GF

Post Thanks / Like

I have one. Just be careful when you leave it in the sun. It can over inflate and bust the bladders. I know from experience. They can b fun to fish from.
    Mike Barnett

Post Thanks / Like

Gill what you need to work on is how to use an anchor system. You also need to look into a stake pole. Your are only limited to your imagination on what you can do with that unit.
    Mike Barnett

Post Thanks / Like

I have an outcast Pac1100hd. I have had several different pontoons over the years. An 8 ft will flip pretty easy on moving waters, however like you say, very hard to do on lake water.

A standing platform is a nice addition, as is a rear deck for gear storage. Also you can modify a truck storage net, to place underneath your seat to help store items too.

Good oars and proper oar angle will make a big difference when the wind kicks up. Also keep in mind that if you add a trolling motor and are fishing public waters, you will need to register it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    I have an outcast Pac1100hd. I have had several different pontoons over the years. An 8 ft will flip pretty easy on moving waters, however like you say, very hard to do on lake water.

A standing platform is a nice addition, as is a rear deck for gear storage. Also you can modify a truck storage net, to place underneath your seat to help store items too.

Good oars and proper oar angle will make a big difference when the wind kicks up. Also keep in mind that if you add a trolling motor and are fishing public waters, you will need to register it.
    My sister gave me a brand new pontoon her husband never used. I gave it a quick "test" on our small pond. I did great with the fins but it was a "chinese fire drill" with the oars. What do you mean " good oars and proper oar angle" ? The oars kept sliding all over the place. They are not locked in to the oar like on a row boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Oars should have sleeves on them so that they fit snug in the oar lock (or you can use a rope wrap to build up the diameter to the correct size). Also you can buy a ring that stops the oar from sliding out into the water, commonly called a stopper. If you don't like feathering (rotating the oar on each stroke), there is a product called an oarright, which keeps the blade in the a locked position so no worries about twisting (it also functions as a sleeve and stopper).

"good oars and proper angle" --- A good oar is strong but light. Often pontoons come with cheap oars that flex way too much and break easily. Proper oar angle is important so that you can get moving without much effort. General rule of thumb is you want 1/3 of the oar length (including the blade) inside the oarlocks. When you finish your stroke your hands should be mid-chest to bellybutton level and in the shoulder width to nearly touching range.

Some pontoons are sold with oars too short. Others have the oarlocks so low that the oars have clearance issues with the rower's knees.