Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get a crankbait to the "bottom"

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to get a crankbait to the "bottom"

if using a small crankbait like a strike bitsy minnow or slab hammer, what can be used to get the bait to bounce off of the lake bottom or creek channel?

can a small weight be used in front of the crankbait? or maybe heavier line? i am using 4 lb line right now.

thanks in advance !

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I would put a 3-way swivel a couple to 3 feet in front of the bait and put a dropper line with a small weight on the bottom of the swivel. The dropper should be just long enough to keep the bait "ticking" the bottom and not digging the bottom up. I would also recommend you invest in some higher test line unless you own a bait company. You will lose some baits either way but many more using such a light line.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

My method is a "Carolina Rig" with a 1 oz weight above a barrel swivel and then 3-4' of line to a snap. But I'm using 8-10 lb test line too.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have always thought that adding anything would mess up the action of the bait, so I never tried anything different. Next time I might try that technique, but I do not fish cranks very much anyway.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    I have always thought that adding anything would mess up the action of the bait, so I never tried anything different. Next time I might try that technique, but I do not fish cranks very much anyway.
    The action of the bait is the same .........the weight being ahead of the bait does not affect the action of the lure two or three feet behind it.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

i have been using 4 lb line on my ultralight spinning combos. i only use these for crappie and bream. using jigs i haven't lost a bait yet. lucky i guess.

i'll beef the line up for the crankbaits....thanks...brad

Post Thanks / Like

Google "bottom bouncer" rig. Basically a wire form with weight on the bottom. Walleye guys use it a lot and might be the ticket with a shallow diving bait to keep it ticking and not digging.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind crankbaits are rated for depth at a certain lb line, like 10 or 12lb. So using 4lb line should actually led you dive it deeper. Depending how deep you are trying to fish you might be able to bounce it off the bottom with nothing other than a deep diving crankbait.

Post Thanks / Like

If your crank bait is not "0" it will hit the bottom before your weight does. Thats why I use lead core to go deep in channels. But if you want to use mono I recommend that you keep the lead weight above the swivel with 5 feet of leader line, and when you feel the crank hit the bottom just reel it up some.

D
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used bottom bouncers with crankbaits and had success recently. You will want a shallow running crankbait or you'll be hung up constantly, I happen to like small Husky Jerks. I will start with a 4' leader and may go up to 6 if the water is gin clear, otherwise lengthening the leader increases the chances that you'll hang up. Remember not to drag the bottom bouncer, let it occassionally back to touch the bottom to ensure that you are at the right depth or you feel a tick-tick of the wire hitting the bottom. The key to this presentation is that it allows you to present the crankbait slowly in order to entice a bite from bigger sluggish fish. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast