Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Structure

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Structure

I put out 6 of the Porcupine structures two weeks ago in Lake Thunderbird, OK. Have not been back yet to check out if fish have moved in. But will tell anyone who buys them that if your PVC is longer than two feet you need to drill through the lip where they are glued together in about three places and put a bold and nut. No. 8 machine screw will do the trick. They start to crack apart and the PVC will not stay in if you don't beacuse the longer PVC put pressure on the globe part. I built some for deep water with 5 footers in each hole and it was a chore getting time overboard without hitting the gunnels when you let them go.
    Next one's I build will be out of 4'' to 5' old rubber or plastic hose stuck down in a concrete base about about the size of the small bags you can buy, that way no extra weight required and the hose is cheap. I even have some old soaker hose that would be good as it is rough like the bark on a tree. Good luck with yours.

Post Thanks / Like

Default same problem

made a couple 10 footers, had the same problem, someone had
    a good idea but didn't do enough research--if he'da made a few
    like ours he would have seen the need to make it a bit thicker and
    stronger

Post Thanks / Like

Hey DMAN...What is your center made out of? When you say 10 footers do you mean 10' on each side for a total of 20 feet or is it 5 feet on each said that equals 10'?

Post Thanks / Like

dmann436, that looks great. sac-a-lait, it looks like 5' per side to me.
    I think I got one...

Post Thanks / Like

Lake dirtybird....how is the fishing up there now? Last time I was there it was going downhill....im in Ardmore.

bv

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Sac............ them is those porcupine structures Bill Dance pushes. Bass Pro got them in the catalog, haven't checked the store in Pearl yet.

https://site2.apollohosting.com/porc...shing_tips.htm

I'm trying to figure out a way to make the center out of wood. Use some of the scraps from my chair building. I don't think I would make 'em that big.

I wonder how one of 'em about 4 feet across would work out?

john
    Last edited by bowdenja; 06-06-2006 at 10:26 AM.
    Chuck the aggrivating stuff.......... Just go Fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Default used 10' joint of pipe

and cut em in half, it's about 10' across, the hub is similar to pvc, very thin, matter of fact I broke 2 of the arms off (in the hub) when wrestling one of them in the water. I been thinkin bout using some 2x6 treated wood also and try to make an octogon, drill the holes and lock the arms in with deck screws. If they had made a round solid ball and put the sockets inside they would have been much stronger

Post Thanks / Like

You could use a 4X4 or 6X6 and drill holes in that, and make it almost like the store bought ones. That is kinda expensive though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought of the post 4 x 4 or 4 x 6, yur right about the cost.............. but I end up with some short pieces of treated 2 x 4's from the chairs I build. Thought about glueing two together and drilling holes for small(1/2 x 1/2) pieces I get from the 1 x 6's I rip down for slats.

These will be anywhere from 23 to 31 inches long so that will make a small, by you guy's standards, structure about a 4 footish ball.

I think it might work, and since it's scraps, it don't cost anything, just keeps it from going to the dump.
    Chuck the aggrivating stuff.......... Just go Fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Default bass pro spheres

the spheres are 10 buck apiece (http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults) however it might not be that much more expensive with wood and you can make
    it like you want, the thing to remember is these should last along time. question is: do they hold fish as good as a "tree top". does anyone have any comments on this?
    how bout it BudsBoy, you put yours out in march, they doin any good
    Last edited by dmann436; 06-08-2006 at 04:54 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast