Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Want a Cheap Edge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Want a Cheap Edge

My fishing friends, I would like to give you some information as it works very well for me as I have a cheap budget... I have noticed in a number of Forums and in here that there is a number of questions about Oxygen and PH meters. I have found out years ago while fly fishing and noted that Oxygen within the waters that you fish holds alot of truth in your catch rate. I have noticed when I get into an area and that my floating line starts to sink knowing that I have located low Oxygen and Stagnant area, as we all know there will be "NO" fish. So here is the solution that I use and it "WORKS" as you will only need a couple of things.

1. Have a Snoopy style rod with reel

2. A three foot piece of weight foward floating fly line.

Tie the floating line onto your snoopy rod as you would with a jig and place a very small split shot to help you cast. Make the cast and let the line sit for about 15 to 30 seconds and if floats high in the water that the water is not stagnant and is high in Oxygen. I like to check some of the areas before I start fishing as in Creek Channels and back coves. You may think this is funny but it works for me with no wasted time looking for the crappies and gills. I have noted in testing this theory with a Biologist in my area with his meters and guess what he could only scratch his head and his mouth was open. Give it a try, you will be out of nothing if it dosent work for you. I just wanted to give this information to you as an added weapon for your boat. Good luck and Happy Fishing..
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

Please explain more as to how LOW O2 will allow the line to sink? I am a swift water rescue tech and know that anything in a HIGH o2 water will not be as bouyant. Many drownings occur due to this reason around low head dams and such. How would an otherwise floating line then sink with less dissolved oxygen in the water? If it works, great, I just don't see the facts to back it so please don't think I'm stirring anything up, just need to have the theory explained to me.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-19-2006 at 09:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Jumping Cholla Jigs, I know your not stirring something up. Years back fishing with my fly rod on a lake here in Indiana I had trouble keeping my line high. I used a number of products to assist the line to float as they did not work. Later I had an older fisherman go with me as we were going to fish for crappies with our fly rods. We got into this area that the water was very still as we were in a cove area. Note we were bringing in the crappies left and right when we noticed at a slow drift our lines were not bouyant and the fish bite was no more. Please note the water was calm and I understand your questions of this theory as it works for me. It could be a combo of things from o2 with the PH and temp. I wish I could explain more how it works but it does for me. On another note I want to commend you as a Swift Water Rescuer as I have seen you all in action and have witnessed your intense training... Thanks please give it a try....
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

The amount of Dissolved Oxygen in the water is not going to effect the water's density very much.

The line sinks because it's more dense than the water. Only the surface tension on the top of the water will hold the fly line up and keep it from sinking. But if the line is too heavy even the water's surface tension won't keep the fly line from sinking.

Water with lots of air bubbles in it will have more air than water and will be less dense. You can sink huge ships by simply having lots of air bubbles released directly under the ship. The white water is full of air bubbles and that's why it behaves the way it does.

Water has a lot more chemicals dissolved and suspended in it than just Oxygen.

Here is a good general way to tell if water has enough oxygen in it for fish to survive. If you are catching fish in that water then it's got enough DO to keep a fish population. If the water has weeds growing under the surface then it will have plenty of dissolved oxygen to support fish.

Moving turbulent water will hold more dissolved oxygen in it. Water falling though the sky (rain) will hold more oxygen especially if it's cold.

Cold water holds more dissolved gases including oxygen.

If you really want to know more about Water read up on teh science of Limnology.

Unless you have lots of acid mine drainage or toxic waste being dumped into your lakes the water chemisty will be pretty normal.

Waters up North and in the Smokey Mountains where there is little limestone rock will be more acidic. A lot of this was due to Acid Rain.

Waters on lowland reserviors will be flowing though limestone areas and will be more basic in nature.

Water that's buffered by calcium carbonate will not change pH very much. And acid or base would have to react with all the buffering chemicals first before it would be able to change the water's pH.

You can take a glass of water that has a pH of 9.0 that's not buffered and change the water's ph down to below 7 with a straw and your own breath. Just blow air though the straw down into the water and the pH will drop due to the Carbon Dioxide in your breath reacting with the water. This is a temporary drop in pH though and as the CO2 is outgases the pH of the liquid will go back up.

Most waters will have their ph between 7 and 8. Any water that has a ph of less than 5 will be acidic and won't hold many fish. Water that has a ph over 9 will not hold many fish either. Waters with a pH of 8 will have fish but they may not reach their growth potential.

Remember that the water's pH effects everything in the water not just the crappie. The pH effects the aquatic plants, aquatic insects and all the life in the lake in some way or another. The ecocysytem needs to be in balance to have good fish populations.

Quote Originally Posted by fish_detective
    My fishing friends, I would like to give you some information as it works very well for me as I have a cheap budget... I have noticed in a number of Forums and in here that there is a number of questions about Oxygen and PH meters. I have found out years ago while fly fishing and noted that Oxygen within the waters that you fish holds alot of truth in your catch rate. I have noticed when I get into an area and that my floating line starts to sink knowing that I have located low Oxygen and Stagnant area, as we all know there will be "NO" fish. So here is the solution that I use and it "WORKS" as you will only need a couple of things.

1. Have a Snoopy style rod with reel

2. A three foot piece of weight foward floating fly line.

Tie the floating line onto your snoopy rod as you would with a jig and place a very small split shot to help you cast. Make the cast and let the line sit for about 15 to 30 seconds and if floats high in the water that the water is not stagnant and is high in Oxygen. I like to check some of the areas before I start fishing as in Creek Channels and back coves. You may think this is funny but it works for me with no wasted time looking for the crappies and gills. I have noted in testing this theory with a Biologist in my area with his meters and guess what he could only scratch his head and his mouth was open. Give it a try, you will be out of nothing if it dosent work for you. I just wanted to give this information to you as an added weapon for your boat. Good luck and Happy Fishing..
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes when I aint catching anything in one place...I'll just move!!!
    He among you who is without sin...cast the first stone.