Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wapp update

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wapp update

I went over for a short trip yesterday. I was only on the water for about an hour and a half. I went with the intention of fishing a little, but mostly getting more hours on the motor. It wasn't much of a day for either. I made one pass and caught four dinks, wind was too bad to do much running around-too rough for me.

I went over to the visitor's center and looked at the mess at the spillway. It's like pics of the Rocky Mountains, they don't do it justice. It's just hard to get a grasp of the scale of the damage in the pics I've seen.

On the up side, the lake is trying to clear, and I noticed no trash floating at all. I run in to buddies every where I went, so really, I spent more time BS'ing than anything else. :D They have a by-pass in the works for traffic (I'm assuming it will be open to the public) in the area of the spillway flowline, downstream of "T" hwy.

I checked the trend of the daily elevation drop, and they've held ~9-10" / day for a while, so figuring from 391', Memorial Day should see ~378' and down to summer pool around the end of June. That's with no more rain of course. That concludes your Wapp. status report for 5/16/11. Out. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report wanting to get over there n look at the mess for myself, can you walk around the wash out or do they have it blocked off.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, no access. I was on the north side, and you can walk out to the sidewall of the spillway and look. I'm not sure about the south side. Might be able to go up to the building/pavillion and look, or maybe even down to the south sidewall of the spillway.

Post Thanks / Like

we were planning on doing some jug fishing the first weekend in june. i am assuming the water is flooded way into the woods. we usually pick up jugs on the banks, but with the water being so high i was worried they would be all over the woods and hard to get too. after what you saw today how do you think our fishing trip will be affected?

Post Thanks / Like

The water is way back in the woods now. I was thinking of jigging some brush and maybe up in the woods Sun. Right now, at the edge of the woods where it begins to get too thick to get a boat through, is still 20'+ where I tried, with a bunch of water left to get to the bank. As thick as the woods are (treetops) I think that they would hang your jugs to where you could get them. You might have a few get through and into the woods, but it's pretty thick. By the time you go, the water should be down another ~16' or so. That might be more of a problem if it's down below the limbs, as I'd say a jug could go a good piece with no limbs to hang it. Depends a lot on how big of a boat you'll be trying to get through there too.

Post Thanks / Like

You are right tt it is pretty tough navigating through the tree tops right now.

Talked to a guy at speedie cone Sunday night he said the cats are on fire using limblines and worms setting them close to the base of the tree. Will give it a try this weekend for sure.