Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shellcrackers????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shellcrackers????

OK Ok, been down in florida for a couple of months now and starting to hear from a lot of excited people the "shellcrackers are starting in to spawn." Now, I have caught probably a million brim in my life, red ear, red bellys, punkin seed, goggle eyes, sun pearch and the list goes on and on. Can someone please tell me what the heck is a shellcracker???? Are they just a larger size brim, how big do they get, what do they look like (distingushing marks) what is the best way to catch one. and why all the excitement? Is it for the fight, the food fare (how do they taste) and so on. Real curious and going to go out tomorrow and try to find some. Only this is all I know to do is worm on hook under weight under bobber/slip cork.
    Could someone please get me smart on the subject??
    Dusty
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Shellcracker is a redear. Just called by another name.

Post Thanks / Like

i am glad you asked. I have been wondering the same thing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

centerdriver they are great eating and fun to catch i fish the river here in ga. where i live fishing on the bottom using either big red or little red worms they seem to bite better fishing this way for me wish you success
    "If in this life you have a good wife, at least one good dog, 1 good horse, 1 great fishing boat and a decent truck to pull it with and enough sense to know which is the most important then you have truly been blessed."

Post Thanks / Like

Shellcrackers real name is redear sunfish. They have some red/orange behind the ear. They get the name shellcracker because they have strong jaws that crush snails along a pond bottom. Shellcrackers feed on stuff growing in a pond or lake so they aren't caught often. If you catch one, usually they are bigger than bluegills because redears are not often caught, they can't be taken out of a pond and can feed more.
    Here's a picture of one I caught last fall. Look on the top of the ear for the red/orange color.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a male. (1# 11 oz)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Trump is like the guy that comes on the playground and beats up on the guys that's been pushing you around for the last 30 or 40 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a picture of a couple shellcrackers pushing 2lbs....no place better in the world to catch them than santee-cooper. It's about time for bedding season april and may. I'll be there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replys. Only been out once trying for one, and got what I thought was one.....now I know it was. Sure did put a bend in the crappie pole. Was still not sure till I checked in here tonight though. Only caught 1 keeper so let it go, but cant wait till I can get 4 or more for a good meal. Did get a few smaller things that looked like them, but at 3 and 4", let them go. Did have a flash back of me and grandpa catching 50 or so of the small ones and baiting out trotlines for really huge flat head and apalousa's. Man, those were the days.
    Once again thanks for the pics and the come backs. Yall helped me out a bunch.
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Pound for pund a Shellcracker is the best fighting fish the Good Lord put in water. Finding them can sometimes be a challenge but when you do its Katie bar the door.
    Birddog,

I pray that I may live to fish until my dying day. And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray. When in the Lord's great landing net and peacefully asleep. That in His mercy I be judged, BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast