Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Default GPS suggestions

okay, as you all know I'm planning on purchasing me a boat. I need a good GPS for a reasonable price that is easy to read and understand. A GPS for dummies that is. Lets keep it below 200 dollars. Any suggestions?

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

a interesting post i bought one a cheep one at that to see if it would be wort the investment and when i was justabout to figure it out it went south . no one could tell me or figure out how to work it . that was a few years ago so i will follow this ans see where it takes me.
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Seeker:

If all your going to use it for is getting back to brushpiles that you have saved waypoints for I would recommend the Garmin Geko 301.

Here is a link for a place that has a good deal on them right now and free shipping to boot.

http://www.tweeter.com/product/index...ductId=1332034

Get Santa Claus to bring you one and you can start saving waypoints on it when you're out in other guys boats (if they don't mind).
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have an older hand held Lowrance "Globalnav-12". I use this to get back to structure that has produced. It is not as accurate as the newer GPS units available now. I like a hand held unit that I can take with me whether I'm in my boat or somebody else's boat. What I would do if I were thinking about purchasing a GPS unit. I would decide how much I can spend and look at how I want to use it. That is do you want to be able to download maps from computer and upload your waypoints.

Hope this gives you a starting point.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garmin Legend

I would suggest a garmin legend, right now you can pick up one from basspro or cabelas for 170. They have a built in hwy and road maps with it and if you want you can purchase addition maps for the major lakes in the US. The hotspot maps give lake contures and channel markings. It helps to save on purchasing several maps. My only suggestion to you in your looking. Is to make sure that it has WASS enabled. This gives you a more accurate location to with in 3 meters of the position that you are looking for. The ones without I believe get u within 20 meters. If you got any other question let us know.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Garmin is good stuff!!!!

If you are computer savvy, get one that you can interface with your p.c.
    This capability allows you to upload and download waypoints, routes, etc. and save them. Also allows you to edit waypoints, etc. with your pc. Adding waypoints by hand is as bitch. Be sure that the unit you buy is WAAS capable. Also the more receivers it has, the better the tracking. One thing to remember is that these things don't particularly hone in on the closest satalites. It is an arbutrator. It looks for the best deal at that time and incidence in real time to let you know where you are. So, the more channels, the better. Does this make sense to anyone?

I have a Garmin 76. I love it. It floats. Thank goodness.

MY 2 cents worth,

Cane Pole
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garmin GP Map 76S

any one know anything about model Garmin GP Map 76S?

I want to add a Humminbird Matrix system to my boat and want a handheld unit that is compatible so it can be used with it.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry Blake, what about the geko 201. Do you think it would be good? I basically just wanna mark some brush and be able to find my way back to the launch areas on these lakes that are new and unfamiliar to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Duane

I have my legend connected to my matrix 37, only gives you speed and location on the depth finder. Not a map unless you buy a 67 or 97. But I am sure that you can buy a cable to get the 76 to the matrix. Check humminbird web site that have a list of cables and what they are compadable with. Anything that you buy is garmin is the best in my opionon.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

just about an hour ago the 76s I bought off ebay from avionics arrived. so you know $50 rebate till 1-15-05. for a boat unit check out lowrance new combo model awesome looking and cheap whatever that is. get a dvd cd for whatever one you buy very informative.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast