Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turtle creek, Miram

Post Thanks / Like

Default Turtle creek, Miram

Can anyone of you hoosiers tell me if you can catch crappie in turtle creek lake? I think it's near Miram by a power plant. I bass fished it about 15 years ago and did not know about the crappie status.
    If I remember right the lake has a 10hp limit.
    Thanks.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Turtle Creek

I know that there is a 10hp motor size limit on that lake. And yes it's a power plant lake that is used to cool the discharge waters of the power plant before the water is feed into the Walbash or White River.

Here is what I do know about this lake. It's one of only two lakes in Indiana that has a good population of THREADFIN SHAD that can survive our harsh winters. To me that says that the crappie should be well fed. Not only do they have warmer waters to live in during the winter months but they have a good supply of small shad to feed upon. Unlike Gizzard Shad that grow to big for crappie to feed upon the Threadfin shad don't get so big and they can be fed on by the crappie even when the threadfin shad are in the adult phase of their life.

I do know that there is also a camp ground there nearby. At one time I wanted to fish that lake. That was back when it first opened to the public and there were reports of huge bass being taken out of that lake. But last I read the lake was fished down for bass.

There is one other lake that has threadfin shad in it and that is Gibson Lake and it's also a power plant lake that has hot water from the boilers dumped into the lake to cool before being discharged into the Walbash River near Princeton, IN.

Meron is up by Terra Haute, IN.

I fished Gibon Lake when it first opened and didn't like it for one reason. The hot water made the algae thick and it made my boat dirty. The grim was horrible and it stuck to my aluminun boat and didn't come off very easily. At that time I fished Patoka Lake and KY lake more and didn't have that problem with the scum in the hot water. But that scum make the food chain go VAVOOOM!!. I did catch a lot of white crappie at Gibon Lake but they were all very small. Again that was a long time ago.

I would think that Meron or Turtle Creek would be a good crappie water.

Quote Originally Posted by PIGINTHEPIGPEN
    Can anyone of you hoosiers tell me if you can catch crappie in turtle creek lake? I think it's near Miram by a power plant. I bass fished it about 15 years ago and did not know about the crappie status.
    If I remember right the lake has a 10hp limit.
    Thanks.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default anyone

Has anybody that reads this board crappie fished turtle creek in the last year? Thanks!
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Turtle Creek

Don't believe everything you read,
    I do know that there is also a camp ground there nearby. At one time I wanted to fish that lake. That was back when it first opened to the public and there were reports of huge bass being taken out of that lake. But last I read the lake was fished down for bass.
    About two weeks ago when the weather was a little warmer they were catching lots of bass, and some big ones up to about nine lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    I know that there is a 10hp motor size limit on that lake. And yes it's a power plant lake that is used to cool the discharge waters of the power plant before the water is feed into the Walbash or White River.

Here is what I do know about this lake. It's one of only two lakes in Indiana that has a good population of THREADFIN SHAD that can survive our harsh winters. To me that says that the crappie should be well fed. Not only do they have warmer waters to live in during the winter months but they have a good supply of small shad to feed upon. Unlike Gizzard Shad that grow to big for crappie to feed upon the Threadfin shad don't get so big and they can be fed on by the crappie even when the threadfin shad are in the adult phase of their life.

There is one other lake that has threadfin shad in it and that is Gibson Lake and it's also a power plant lake that has hot water from the boilers dumped into the lake to cool before being discharged into the Walbash River near Princeton, IN.

Meron is up by Terra Haute, IN.

I fished Gibon Lake when it first opened and didn't like it for one reason. The hot water made the algae thick and it made my boat dirty. The grim was horrible and it stuck to my aluminun boat and didn't come off very easily. At that time I fished Patoka Lake and KY lake more and didn't have that problem with the scum in the hot water. But that scum make the food chain go VAVOOOM!!. I did catch a lot of white crappie at Gibon Lake but they were all very small. Again that was a long time ago.

I would think that Meron or Turtle Creek would be a good crappie water.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I don't believe everything that I read. I just report what was reported to me and let the reader figure out what to believe or not

Good to see you are reporting that you caught some fish. Good for you.

Now did you catch any crappie? That is what the thread was about .. Pig or Pat wants to know what the crappie fishing is like on Turtle Creek. I too would like to know what the crappie fishing is like. We don't care about Green Carp LOL JK I had to say that. I really do like to bass fish and am just kidding about the green carp jib. I get that so much on here that it's taken me over. Now I am using the Green Carp jib jab stuff. Hope you don't take offense. Maybe I should have just not typed that. I am in a slap happy mood tonight. Just woke up an am light headed still.. I need more hot coffee.

Anyway if you fish turtle creek a lot I know we would appreciate more fishing information on what the crappie fishing is like. I won't be fishing there unless I can come up with a boat that has a smaller motor. My boat is too small for KY lake reallyand too big for Turtle Creek. However it's just perfect for fishing Blue Grass Fish and Wildlife Areas Blue Grass Pit, Loon Pit and Otter Pits. So that is where I spend my time fishing these days. I do fish Patoka a lot more now that Larry from Southern IN has dragged me out of my house to fish with him. He fishs that lake almost ever day! LOL But he lives up there on the weekends and it's his back door on weekends. It's a 3 hour round trip for me and on Sundays the service stations that work on my old truck are always closed. So my trips are limited to the weekdays when it's not so crowded and if my truck breaks down I can get it repaired in a timely manner. I would hate to have to walk home from Patoka Lake to Evanville. LOL. My old truck has over 150,000 miles on it now. It would have had only about 50,000 on it if I had not used it for work and had to work out of town so much.

Turtle creek has that motor size limit like Hovey lake and that is why I don't fish it much. But I am sure that many other guys in IN and IL would love to know more about it as they may have a good boat for that lake.

If I were going to make a trip to fish for crappie it would be to KY lake to fish with Weezer or Cane Pole or huta or to Hotsprings Ark to fish with Jerry Blake.

And the Grenada Lake (sp?) in Mississippie is said to be very good for big crappie. And Smitty down there is in the know about where to find big slabs.

Darrly guides on some of the lake in Ark too.

What I would really like to see if more HOOSIER on this board helping each other out. We have to have more HOOSIERs reading this web site than what are posting. Come on guys we need to step up to the plate and tell some good stories. We can't let the South Carolina guys beat us again this year.

I am going to have to get me a digital camera now and start posting more pictures to get the intest up the IN site. Now that I have Windows XP running and my digital picture software I can store and manipulate digital pictures better. But don't hold your breath as it may be a while before I can get the camera that I want. It's the Pentax Professional Digital Camera. I would like to go with that camera as I have a Pentax LX SLR body and plenty of Pentax Lenses to go with it. So I could use my current lens selection to go with the new Digital Pentax Camera. Only problem is the money as the Pentax Digital camera cost over 700 bucks last I saw. Ouch. Maybe I can see something to raise some more extra cash.

Quote Originally Posted by 1028
    Don't believe everything you read,
    About two weeks ago when the weather was a little warmer they were catching lots of bass, and some big ones up to about nine lbs.
    Regards,

Moose1am

FishHuntAlways Guest

Default TurtleCreek Crappies

If it's been 15 years since you were last at Turtle Creek you are in for a nasty treat!! First off they put something in the lake or I heard they got the water to hot?? Not sure what happen but there is VERY-VERY little weeds anymore so no place for minnows to live . Put this with the MILLIONS on little channel cats in there and a crappies has a very small chance of feeding. Good luck casting anything small for crappies without catching a boat load of small cats. LIVE BAIT? forget it! you will feed the cats. They took the limit off these catfish a couple years back in hopes of guys catching them out or at least removing part of the problem. The thing about bass is you use larger baits to fish for them.
    They should let catfishermen fish at no charge and have weekly catfishing contest to remove as many of these as they can! This catfish problem has really hurt this lake for all types of fishing. Dont help eighter the lost of weeds! Oh yes it is a 10hp limit, but a couple battiers and a trolling motor you can fish a lot of water. A place to camp? On the road going to the ramp there is Mollys bait shop that has a limited amount of camping. Better yet 4 1/2 miles from the ramp in Sullivan Co. park. Great camp grounds, a real nice lake with thousnads and thousands of crappies. You have to release a ton of smaller crappies to keep a limit for eatting but fun to catch. There are a lot of EYES in there also. I lost the biggest catfish I have ever seen in that lake fishing for saugereyes. 6# test line just didn't make it! I mean BIG!!!
    Here is a couple places that can give you daily information on Turtle Creek.

Molly's bait shop--812-356-4743 and Trotter Sports Center 812-268-3559
    Mollys is on the road to Turtle Creek and Trotters is in Sullivan 4 miles from Turtle Creek
    Charlie
    Last edited by FishHuntAlways; 03-02-2005 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Change spelling and add infomation

Post Thanks / Like

Hey FishandHunt Always:
    Great post. We need more people like you posting on the Indiana Crappie.com sections. Thank you for all the great information.

After reading what you said about the weeds it makes me kinda wonder if the water has either chemicals in it that kills the weed or if the water gets too hot for the weeds to grow. That is a shame. I fished Gibson Lake when it first opened and it was a power plant cooling lake like Turtle Creek. Gibson was fully of algae and the water was stained when I last fished it. My boat was stained when I pulled it out too. I didn't go back much after that. I did catch a nice 6lb bass but the water was so hot that he didn't even jump out of the water. It was like catching a drum or some trash fish that didn't fight. But that was way back in the early 1980's. That Gibson lake could get some big waves with just a little bit of wind as it was really flat country around that lake. It got pretty scary in my litte boat a few times.

Thanks again for the information on the camp grounds around Turtle Creek. That park that you talk about I have seen before. I use to drive up that way for work and remember going by that park. I have friends that used to camp there a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by FishHuntAlways
    If it's been 15 years since you were last at Turtle Creek you are in for a nasty treat!! First off they put something in the lake or I heard they got the water to hot?? Not sure what happen but there is VERY-VERY little weeds anymore so no place for minnows to live . Put this with the MILLIONS on little channel cats in there and a crappies has a very small chance of feeding. Good luck casting anything small for crappies without catching a boat load of small cats. LIVE BAIT? forget it! you will feed the cats. They took the limit off these catfish a couple years back in hopes of guys catching them out or at least removing part of the problem. The thing about bass is you use larger baits to fish for them.
    They should let catfishermen fish at no charge and have weekly catfishing contest to remove as many of these as they can! This catfish problem has really hurt this lake for all types of fishing. Dont help eighter the lost of weeds! Oh yes it is a 10hp limit, but a couple battiers and a trolling motor you can fish a lot of water. A place to camp? On the road going to the ramp there is Mollys bait shop that has a limited amount of camping. Better yet 4 1/2 miles from the ramp in Sullivan Co. park. Great camp grounds, a real nice lake with thousnads and thousands of crappies. You have to release a ton of smaller crappies to keep a limit for eatting but fun to catch. There are a lot of EYES in there also. I lost the biggest catfish I have ever seen in that lake fishing for saugereyes. 6# test line just didn't make it! I mean BIG!!!
    Here is a couple places that can give you daily information on Turtle Creek.

Molly's bait shop--812-356-4743 and Trotter Sports Center 812-268-3559
    Mollys is on the road to Turtle Creek and Trotters is in Sullivan 4 miles from Turtle Creek
    Charlie
    Regards,

Moose1am

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i bet it is the acid from all the goose poop
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Woody76 Guest

Well, seeing as I live about 7 miles from the entrance to Turtle Creek, I can say that I have never fished it for Crappie. Not only that, I have never heard anyone say that they have ever caught any crappie out there. It used to be one of the best bass fishing spots in Indiana, but it has gone downhill because the water is getting to hot. I live in Sullivan and if you want to catch a lot of crappie around here you can go to the Sullivan Co. Park and Lake, where you'll catch a lot, just not that big, although a 16" crappie was caught out there last weekend. Also, we have several strip pits, some in the Greene-Sullivan state forest and others in the Minnehaha wildlide area. My cousin caught his limit two days in a row last week at the lake in about 90 minutes each day. Two weekends ago, I caught a 14 inch crappie in the Greene Sullivan State Forest. Also, in the Greene Sullivan State Forest, there is a pit that has been stocked with Musky if your up for that challenge. 36" limit on them. This seems like a pretty good site, and I'm sure I'll be asking for some help when i venture to Monroe and Patoka later this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that report Woody.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast