Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capps and Coleman pushing rig

Post Thanks / Like

Default Capps and Coleman pushing rig

I'm interested in trying the Capps and Coleman pushing rig that I read about in last months issue of In-Fisherman Magazine.If anyone is familiar with this technique can you tell me if it is neccesary to use that much weight at the bottom of the rig? 5 or 6 oz. sounds like alot.If that much weight is in fact needed what length and action of rod would work best for this rig.The article failed to mention anything about the type of rods used.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tolling Rod

Hey, Ohio you may want to chekout the BnM trolling rods they might be the rod for that. If you buy the rod from cabelas you can send in a copy of the receipt for a bnm reel for $5.00.
    jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I think that pushing crankbaits you would need weight to keep them down if they are folating types like bandits as for the heavy weight you need that to keep the bait verticle in the water when trolling so it wont ride up in the water to keep it at the depth that the fish are showing on the locator I aint a expert but this is how I see it as for poles you need a pretty sturdy rod I use and recommend Outlaw Crappie Poles www.ooutlawfishing.com tell em big george sent ya

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big George
    I think that pushing crankbaits you would need weight to keep them down if they are folating types like bandits as for the heavy weight you need that to keep the bait verticle in the water when trolling so it wont ride up in the water to keep it at the depth that the fish are showing on the locator I aint a expert but this is how I see it as for poles you need a pretty sturdy rod I use and recommend Outlaw Crappie Poles www.ooutlawfishing.com tell em big george sent ya
    that link dont work
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for your input.I have a 10' BnM jigging pole. Would that work or do I need something more specific for trolling?

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling

Hey Ohio, Ive experimented with trolling some, I have a b&m jig pole that is good for dipping with but it didnt work to well with the caps and coleman rig (I ran a 1/2 oz. weight). Been using 12 and 14 ft walley marshall tightline special that work well with the rig, im not sure that they would handle a 5 oz. weight. Also have a 11 ft outlaw and really like it, but i havnt trolled with it cause im not wanting to break my favorite rod. Do know a few folks here that use the outlaw to troll and they like them too. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CrappieOutlaw,I was afraid of that.I guess it's time to add a rod to my arsenal.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry www.outlawfishing.com I couldnt spell while ago I troll all outlaws spiderrigging and pulling jigs with up to 3/4 oz weights

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking about using that as well. You need a bnm trolling rod bc it has the backbone to handle the weight of the sinker. In the mag it says they use the bnm so i am thinking about using them as well. It looks like an easy way to troll and put some fish in the livewell during anytime other than spawn.

Post Thanks / Like

I may be wrong, but when I try "pushing crankbaits", I am going to use my catfish rigs. They work well with heavy sinkers. The only problem I foresee could be strike detection but with the big crappie I intend to catch, that should not be a problem. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast