Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Slabs in Wa State

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slabs in Wa State

Hey folks, I was wondering how the crappie fishing was in WA? I am currently in Texas, which I love since it's my birthplace, but my wife doesn't care for it much. I have been looking at trying to get stationed at Ft Lewis. Is the Tacoma area Crappie worthy? Thanks and take care. TF

Post Thanks / Like

we have bass and crappie up the wazoo in this state...most people dont fish for them. People here prefer to chase the silver slime rockets, come and you will see:D

Post Thanks / Like

From one guy who has fished Texas to another. Yes you will find fair to average Crappie fishing in WA. The people on this board are experts on Wa crappie. I would not fit the Wa expert as I prefer the silver rockets BUT I spent years as an expert Crappie guy and still very much love fishing SLABS>

You will find mostly black crappie in Wa and they will be much smaller because of the water temps and growing phase vs hot weather southern crappie. But still there is some big ones if you know where to get them.

In the midwest you can fill a bucket in an hour. Here you will work for them more. Lots of action at sunrise and sunset. There is a gentlman named Slabking that is one of the best Crappie guru's around here. He is very open and helpful with fishing places and such. The others while young kids are also very good crappie fisherman on this site.
    Give us a holler if you get out here! Bass fishing is good here too.

Post Thanks / Like

thats true that not many people in washington fish for crappie or know who to catch them. they would rather plunk some powerbait for slimers . we do have some good crappie waters around here. i dont know about much around the tacoma area. a thing you might find fustrating up here is the size of the fish. the slabs are there but just not as many . if you decide to come, welcome :D .
    fishin isn't a sport, it's a way of life.
    A motto I live by. :D
    go dawgs!!

Beerbelly Guest

They have got some good crappie at Silver lake in Cowlitz co.lots of 8" to 13" if you know where to go. The lake depth is a average of about 5 to 6 ft. I lived right on the lake for 15 years and fished off my dock but had to go in the boat to get the big ones.

John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beerbelly
    They have got some good crappie at Silver lake in Cowlitz co.lots of 8" to 13" if you know where to go.

John
    have you heard if anyone is catching any down there right now?
    fishin isn't a sport, it's a way of life.
    A motto I live by. :D
    go dawgs!!

Post Thanks / Like

from what I here spring there can be almost as good as fall there and fall crappie at silver is something to experience.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Beerbelly Guest

It is starting to pickup, but small 4" to 6". When the water warms up a little the bite is on around the willows, But if you know where the logs and trees on the bottom is by sucker ck. thats where the big one are at. The water is about 10' there. The biggest Iv'e caught there is 15" and that was 3 years ago it was a black crappie. There are some white crappie but not as big the biggest I caught was 9". But Oct. Nov. and Dec can be real good.
    Last edited by Beerbelly; 03-22-2006 at 11:08 AM.