Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Questions about Elkhorn Creek

Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions about Elkhorn Creek

Hello all,

Hope everyone is safe and drying out some. I got to fish a little last week at Paintsville Lake, and my uncle and I caught about 10 Bluegills, 1 Redear Sunfish, and 2 small Largemouth Bass in about 2.5 hours of fishing. We saw quite a few bass in the water, too, which is certainly encouraging for the future.

In the next few weeks I plan on going to Elkhorn Creek for the first time with my canoe and trying to fish some. I have looked at the information on Canoe KY and also the KY Department of Fish and Wildlife website, and it looks like Knight's Bridge is a very popular place to put in.

I am going by myself, and it seems like having Canoe KY shuttle me would be my only option. I called them today and they quoted me $20 if I ended my trip at their shop (about 6 miles from Knight's Bridge) and $25 dollars if I ended around the bridge at 127. I thought that seemed like a bit much, particularly if I took the shorter route.

Does anyone have any general advice on Elkhorn Creek? Advice about transport would be much appreciated, too.

Thanks all, and good fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

3 inch powerbait grub pumpkin or watermelon - watch for the slot limit, i live in g-town so the limit doesn't apply here, I always release creek fish anyway

Post Thanks / Like

I kile fishing down to the 127 bridge. I usually take "chubs" with me but if I run out of live bait I either use a rebel "wee" crawl or small jointed Rapala. While the smallmouth fishing is great on Elkhorn there are also a lot of good catfish in that stretch of water. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I went to CanoeKY yesterday to pick up a yak paddle to use with my canoe, and scouted the place some while I was there. Looks like it will be a BLAST if this weather would ever perk up some.

Post Thanks / Like

Zoom TINY brush hogs texas rigged with a bullet weight to match current. I like black with red flake, junebug, or pumpkin with green flake. Hardly ever get hung up, and easier to get the hook out than two trebles being swung around by a thrashing bass.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I finally got a chance to head out to Elkhorn Creek today. I caught one smallmouth, maybe 8", so I didn't have great luck...but that wasn't due to a lack of fish. I missed quite a few bites and have a lot of learning to do. I tried working some texas-rigged baby brush hogs in watermelon seed color using a 1/0 offset hook, but had no luck. I have a feeling that these are a bit big of a lure. I then tried a 1/6 oz. rooster tail that is mostly green with a silver blade, and that's what I caught the lone smallie on.

I tried to present both lures from downstream and slowly work them back to my anchored canoe. With the hog, I simply jigged it and reeled in my slack. I had to reel the rooster tail in to avoid getting hung up all of the time.

Any tips? I think it's mostly inexperience, and there's only one cure for that

Name:  IMG_0206.jpg
Views: 4972
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0174.jpg
Views: 2747
Size:  58.2 KB

Irregardless of my lack of success, I still had a great time, btw!
    Last edited by matt colvin; 06-08-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

TINY brush hogs are the key. They are about the perfect size to match a creek crawdad. You need a size 1 worm hook. I like owners or gamakatsu wide gap hooks. Wide gap helps too IMO.

Light weight and light line should probably be used as the water looks very clear. You can carry everything you need in the bag of brushhogs in a shirt pocket.

Are there any larger rocks or wood in that creek. I would try up against something like that as if they are on the bed they will try to get up against something so they don't have to watch a full 360* for nest robbers.

Better luck next time out and I am sure that water felt good on a hot day.

Post Thanks / Like

I take my bicycle with me.
    take the front wheel off, set the bike in the front of the canoe.
    Do my trip.
    Find a tree or something that won't move lock the canoe to the tree.
    Ride the bike back to my car. Drive to pickup the canoe.
    You get enjoyment,fish and exersize all in one trip.
    Will make your wife or girl friend proud.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks for the advice. I have some chigger craws that are 3", and I will give them a try tomorrow. Also have some berkley shads that might do the trick as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Got to head back today, but didn't have any luck. I tried the Berkley Shad with a vibrating tail on an 1/8 oz jighead and Roostertails. I didn't arrive until about 9:45am, so I'm sure that had a bit to do with it. The water was stained and I couldn't really sight fish any. Oh well...still had a fun day out on the water!