Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mississippi river crappie

gonfishn Guest

Default Mississippi river crappie

I fish mark twain for crappie alot with good succes however I can't seem to find any crappie on the river. I usually fish in the area of winfield to elsberry. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck on the big river. Also I'm headed to table rock next weekend any advice/fishing reports from locals?
    Thanks in Advance

Post Thanks / Like

hey gonfshin good luck on tablerock next weekend fished there hard last few days worst day was wed. thur.was real good 14 all bigins. the three weeks earler the were in the flats on point 15(mouth of james flat.) cape fair area also they were on the dear bluff south of viola. also blue hole. and the flats off bluffs. if you see boats fish close and watch real hard good luck.

gonfishn Guest

Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

glade that someone else likes to fish the Mississippi River......I fish the shoots and and pits off the river this time of year.....start with the real shollow ones and go from there.....water warner.... As I live in the bootheel, fish from below Cape to the Ark. line......seems my best luck is mid-Apr through May in the deeper holes....just depends on the river stage......jigpole

gonfishn Guest

Jigpole,

Thanks for the info, do you fish shoots with current or do you look for slack water, current seams, current breaks, etc. ? I do alot of fishing on the river and have tried several time to catch crappie with no luck. I know they're there somewhere. I usually try the same stuff I use in lakes (jigs, minnows, jig/minnow combo) around any structure that I can find.
    Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

been my experience that crappie are basicly a lazy fish....don't like the current.......therefore, I fish the water with no current.....besides the shoots and pits....behind the rock dikes or islands where you can find the right water dept and structure in the river. Just use jigs, minnows or sometimes both....if I know that there is fish there, I keep changing jig colors and combinations till I either give up or find the right combination........usually works pretty well.......Had more luck when the river is steady or on a slow drope.......have never done very well on a fast or slow rise......jigpole

Post Thanks / Like

I've never fished the Mississippi for crappie, but fish the Missouri once in a while. Try the sloughs and creeks that connect to he river. Never had much luck on the the river itself, but the current and muddy water on the Missouri is worse than the Mississippi. Jigpole's right, look for slack water and cover...izzy

gonfishn Guest

thanks for the info on the river. I'll give it a shot if this weather ever clears up. I was wearing shorts last week and looking at snow right now?