Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using inflatable Kayaks (duckies)?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone using inflatable Kayaks (duckies)?

New here from WV....

I was wondering if there is anyone here that fishes from duckies? I'm not talking about the "pool-toy" inflatables you'll see from coleman and such, but outfitter quality inflatable that are REALLY hard to puncture....mine is a SeaEagle 380x.

I got mine initially to run the beautiful whitewater we have here in the mountain state along with camping.....but now I have the 'yak fishing bug BAD! They are so versatile I'm surprised I don't see more people in them, but I would like to see how others are riggin' 'em up!

I tell ya, this thing is awesome; two person 750 lb rating, draft of only a couple inches, extremely stable/sturdy, practically unsinkable, packs into a bag (45 lbs), rated for class IV rapids and is as comfortableas a 12.5 foot floating couch.

My only complaints are that it may not track the straightest, may be a little on the slow side on flatwater and the fact that you can't drill a buncha mounts on it.....still it's perfect for my applications and has 100x's more utility (for me) than any canoe or kayak i've had/used.

Ultimately if someone else does this I'd love to see your set up: how you hold your poles, mount fishfinders etc.....for me the answer is soon to be strategically placed velcro and elastic straps on seats and rings.

Good to be here!
    Learn to not run from your problems....except when your problems are giant boars.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't own an inflatable but seen where the RAM ROD company make a mount that glues to the inflatable crafts, and the rod holder sticks into it. On my little solo canoe I mounted the fish finder on little container I keep in front of me. And the transducer is clipped to the side, used velcro before and it worked good.

Post Thanks / Like

They are a very wet ride. Also for one that holds up to fishing use (hmm abuse) is more costly than a traditional plastic kayak. If it gets you on the water, and gets you home at the end of the day, then use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site and the kayak/canoe/small watercraft forum. I would think your outfit would be fine for fishing crappie/bluegills but just a little tougher to rig as you mentioned. I would also like to see one that someone might already have set up. Great question.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    They are a very wet ride. Also for one that holds up to fishing use (hmm abuse) is more costly than a traditional plastic kayak. If it gets you on the water, and gets you home at the end of the day, then use it.
    It's only wet when I want it to be! The bilge valves are only open when I'm in Whitewater (how else would I get wet?). Considering that it cost me $850 for the full outfit I think it's a steal (esp. when looking at hobiecat mirage drives n' such that I see are so popular on here). There are expensive ones like Sevylor and Aire....but quite frankly they are much more akin to pool toys even at their $1500-$2000 range. This is rated for class IV rapids and I've had it in V's, so I'd say that durability is more than you think....and I've had to extricate this thing from a full on pin from a strainer in a class 3 waterfall....

Then if you consider that I can carry more than any canoe or 'yak (I could put my harley on this thing rated at 750 lbs) AND go where no SOT or canoe could dare....
    Learn to not run from your problems....except when your problems are giant boars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabsrus View Post
    Welcome to the site and the kayak/canoe/small watercraft forum. I would think your outfit would be fine for fishing crappie/bluegills but just a little tougher to rig as you mentioned. I would also like to see one that someone might already have set up. Great question.
    I spent saturday fabbin' up a 2 pole/fishfinder mount with PVC and plastic.....works really well for both tandem paddling and a single paddler. I'll have to take some pics and post 'em!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2KanZam View Post
    It's only wet when I want it to be! The bilge valves are only open when I'm in Whitewater (how else would I get wet?).
    wet feet getting in and out of the 3 ft wide boat, paddle drips, chop from the wind over the low sides etc.
    There are expensive ones like Sevylor and Aire....
    can't speak for sevylor but Aire's have a 10 year no fault warranty and pump up much stiffer.
    abut quite frankly they are much more akin to pool toys even at their $1500-$2000 range.
    haha, this is funny, especially since Aire only makes high end stuff and sea eagle is known as a mostly a pool toy company.
    This is rated for class IV rapids and I've had it in V's, so I'd say that durability is more than you think....and I've had to extricate this thing from a full on pin from a strainer in a class 3 waterfall....
    Aire are rated for class V water. Also I am curious to how you're pinning on a class 3 waterfall and how how high was the fall, sounds fishy to me.

PS where is the sea eagle dealer for the 380x?, never seen them for sale anywhere but the internet. Aire and traditional kayaks have dealers with stores that you can go and test the boats out before purchase.

If it works good for you then great, but there are at least 14 other brands of inflatable kayaks (Aire, Sotar, Maravia, Tributary, NRS, Hyside, Riken, Wing, ThrillSeaker, SOAR, Star, Saturn, Innova, Maxxon and I am sure there are more) that are made from tougher material, priced similar, and offer better warranties.

Your post sounds like your a sales rep. for Sea Eagle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    wet feet getting in and out of the 3 ft wide boat, paddle drips, chop from the wind over the low sides etc. can't speak for sevylor but Aire's have a 10 year no fault warranty and pump up much stiffer. haha, this is funny, especially since Aire only makes high end stuff and sea eagle is known as a mostly a pool toy company. Aire are rated for class V water. Also I am curious to how you're pinning on a class 3 waterfall and how how high was the fall, sounds fishy to me.

PS where is the sea eagle dealer for the 380x?, never seen them for sale anywhere but the internet. Aire and traditional kayaks have dealers with stores that you can go and test the boats out before purchase.

If it works good for you then great, but there are at least 14 other brands of inflatable kayaks (Aire, Sotar, Maravia, Tributary, NRS, Hyside, Riken, Wing, ThrillSeaker, SOAR, Star, Saturn, Innova, Maxxon and I am sure there are more) that are made from tougher material, priced similar, and offer better warranties.

Your post sounds like your a sales rep. for Sea Eagle.

Haha....you sound like I hit a nerve!

-I have no problems getting wet...no more than any SOT I've used. (The aires I've used had very low sides...so yes water got in them.)
    -That's a good warranty on Aire...I had no idea...I think mine has 3?? I couldn't imagine one pumping up much stiffer...almost feels like youre standing on plywood with mine.
    -I think you are mistaking the old "Sport kayak" line of SE....yes very much more like pool toys than the "explorer" series

Pinned on a "blind" smooth boulder drop of MAYBE 3 feet on the Bluestone River...shoulda scouted it but it has always been clear. Ever been whitewater rafting? Yeah, cuz it doesn't take much water to hold a boat once it's pushed under by a tree. You apparently don't realize that WV has a VERY healthy Whitewater industry, I've had the chance to test a bunch from a couple outfitters near Fayetteville and Hico WV....but I bought mine online (got it used and much better deal). I reasearched alot and asked a bunch of questions and I think this was one of the best deals when considering price quality etc.

FYI: I've grown up on rivers, many of my friends are guides on the Gauley River (Some of the best Whitewater in the US if not world) and have commented that they might look into these boats after they saw mine and realized the quality are as they are.

Nope, not a rep, but I am very impressed with this boat.

So I got a question. Why are you jumping my back? You seem to be going through alot of trouble to attack me.

Post Thanks / Like

I should reiterate...since this thread is about to be hi-jacked by bfish: This thread is about seeing other people's solutions to rigging an inflatable. Not about how much I like my boat....

Post Thanks / Like

Just my opinion, but based on 25 years of fishing from canoes and kayak and 20 years as whitewater raft guide in the southern Appalachians, an inflatable boat such as yours, is very poor crappie fishing platform for 99% of the people out there. Kayak and canoes can be had new for about half the cost (up to almost equal cost) and have much better performance, easy of use, etc. If portability is an issue, float tubes or solo inflatable pontoons would be a better option for most people.

That said, your boat is fine for floating rivers with constant flow (not the best, but good enough). As I stated earlier, if it works good for you then that is great. I am thinking it would make a better smallmouth and/or trout water boat, rather than crappie.

Some suggestions for rigging your boat:

tracking-- Aire and others have fins you can add that will help with tracking. Use on rivers will knock them off. I assume the outer layer is PVC (I think that is what I felt on the SE pontoons that i have seen), so it should be easy to glue on.

I would also add a raised seat by laying a 1x8 wood or plastic cutting board across the boat. You will need to add d-rings to strap the board down. Once mounted (near center or slightly forward if you store a lot weight behind you), you can then strap your seat on the deck board. This elevation will make it easier to see, nicer on the ole knees, and gets your elbows out of being trapped in the boat (making for easier casting). Don't raise too high, as it might affect you center of gravity, but being a 3 ft wide boat, I sort of doubt this small of an increase will be noticeable.

With the elevated seat, you should be able to use a shorter paddle and more vertical stroke. Faster cadence and more vertical stroke will help with tracking, and a shorter paddle is not only lighter but stiffer.

Next I would add a pvc frame (strapped to d-rings) to provide tie down areas for coolers (one for minnows and another for drinks/food). This would be behind the seat but with in reach. I prefer soft-sided for food/drinks. This area can also be used for dry bag/pelican box to store emergency supplies (including dry clothes in fall/winter/spring plus rain jacket).

Third I would add another pvc frame up towards the bow (again strapped to d-rings). This is to provide stiffness to the sidewalls (needed since your weight is now on the sidewalls rather than the floor). Also the crossbars can be used for tackle storage and a place to rest your rod tips (add a rod holder (foam gripper style) to the crossbar.

So I got a question. Why are you jumping my back? You seem to be going through alot of trouble to attack me.
    I have not attacked you, sorry you feel that way. However, some of it may stem from the nearly constant barrage of thinly veiled advertisements from SeaEagle pontoons on another local to me board; always with gusto that they are the best. Decent yes, but best--not even close (IMO).

Hopefully some of my rigging tips will help you out.

PS bluestone is a pretty one, been about 18 years since I was on it. I don't recall any class 3 other than the old mill dam, but my memory may be slipping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast