Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelhead poles for crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Steelhead poles for crappie?

I was gandering about @ the local big name fishing and camping gear store to buy a new 460/460 pixel graph and I noticed in the fish pole section some selections for steelhead rods. I said to myself, "Self, these sure do look like they would be a great crappie pole." I picked a 12' graphite 2 piece that I could shake and spear. when spooled up with a slip bobber and 1/4oz egg sinker and swivel and 1' dropper to a 1/24oz jig, this unit can cast 150 ft. I did put a small reel (h500) on it and think it would cast easier and mabe further with a larger spooled reel.
    Tennessee...........Tennessee.......they ain't no place I'd rather be...........

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen the same thing, but they sure seemed to have a higher price tag. If you found a really sweet deal, maybe you should jump on em

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend that makes our crappie rods out of steelhead fly rod blanks.Best rods I have ever used.
    Jig & Ellie are my green headed corn grinder finders.

R.I.P Jig dog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TennesseeJed View Post
    ...steelhead rods. I said to myself, "Self, these sure do look like they would be a great crappie pole."
    You were right.

I think the "steelhead" scares off a lot of people because they think they'll be super stiff. Several years ago, I bought a 8.5' steelhead rod from Cabela's. I wanted to use it for casting plastics for bass from shore and for tossing spinners and light crankbaits for trout.

Since I wasn't sure about the actions, I ordered both the "light" rod and the "medium" rod. The medium rod was really what I was looking for, so I sent the other one back. However, the light model would've made a great crappie rod, IMO.

Steelhead rods also seem to be higher quality than a lot of crappie rods on the market.

Post Thanks / Like

I use float n fly rods that are designed for smallies, they work good for crappie.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Love them

I think in general. Most SteelHead rods are of a Higher Quality,than most crappie rods. I own 3.
    10'6" Browning
    10'6" Shimano.. "light as a Feather"
    11'6" Custom Cherokee.. "Super Sensitive with plenty of Backbone"
    You just can't beat them for Vertical Jigging.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a custom rod builder - and I've always heard that steelhead rods make great crappie rods, but I've never built one up. Can you guys tell me some of the stats on these rods you like? I'm assuming the line weight ratings are like 6-12lbs or so, basically a medium weight steelhead rod??

Post Thanks / Like

Default steelhead rod/ crappie rod

this is my 13' 3pc custom steelhead/crappie rod that i built last spring. i think the steelhead rods make great crappie rods. Name:  HPIM0856.jpg
Views: 2762
Size:  49.1 KBName:  HPIM0857.jpg
Views: 4175
Size:  49.0 KBName:  HPIM0855.jpg
Views: 2795
Size:  43.7 KB
    get in, sit down, shut up and fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richstick View Post
    Can you guys tell me some of the stats on these rods you like? I'm assuming the line weight ratings are like 6-12lbs or so, basically a medium weight steelhead rod??
    My rod is rated for 8-12# line. It's action is a little heavy for crappie (for me, anyway.) I thought the model rated for 6-10# line would be great for crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

I own two pinnacle vertex salmon rods that are 9 ft long, have cork handles and are IM7, and they are two of the nicest rods I own. I jig with them, pull cranks with them, and fish blue gill with them all summer, yet they only cost me $25 a piece when I bought them. And I know they are tough after landing a 40 lb flathead with one. Have 2 of their 12 ft. crappie rods but don't care much for them, the salmon rods are better.
    Waterboy1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast