Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing in windy conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Fishing in windy conditions

I don't know how fishermen and fisherwomen can do it. I tried earlier today during a 15 - 20 mph wind today and at first i was casting sideways to the wind, decent casting, no tangles, but the area wasn't ripe for fish. So i went to an area that was suitable, unfortunately i would have been casting into the wind and the bait would have stayed in shallow waters instead of further out where i wanted it, this is when i ran into my first tangle while casting (had to cut the line and re-rig the rod. My third location was a dropoff facing with the wind, this i thought was perfect, i have the depth i want and the wind at my back to take the lure further out. Wrong! I tangled three more times while casting the line, one i got out in 10 min, the other two times, once again i had to cut the line and re-rig it, after the third time, i called it a day. I was wasting $35 fishing line because the wind kept tangling up my line while casting.

Any tips on where i should fish during a windy day like that, or what type of fishing line i should have on? It truly is annoying to have a near perfect day to fish except for the wind.

Post Thanks / Like

Wind just plain makes it difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

High wind makes for a rough day, I don't have any good advice

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

When it is windy and your out on the lake...It is a must have a marke bouy...If your fishing brushpiles etc....That is my one tip...But, I am not a fan of the wind myself..But, sometimes on the windest days...The fish will bite better...Sometimes..

Go with the heaviest jighead you feel comfortable with..

Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like

I usually stay home or go home if the wind kicks up, just not any fun imo.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

A for effort tho

Post Thanks / Like

We fished in 15 -20 winds today too. Can't control the boat, can't get the bait to the spot you want. I finally anchored a ways above where I wanted to fish, let the wind take my bait to the spot. We started catching fish, but got a phone call and had to go to shore Anchor up wind of your spot.

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but here in East Texas I hunt a creek when the wind is tough. I will try on the inside of a point just out out of the wind. I also do under hand casting and as low to the water as I can get it. I hope this helps.

Have a good evening.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Well i got some advice from a friend to fish in an area where a hill is behind you, kind of deflects the wind. Most of the fishing i do right now is shoreline fishing. No boat, yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Best Place to fish in the wind is straight down. Ferdi aka Fred

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast