Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm not likeing the Power Pro braid

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm not likeing the Power Pro braid

I bought some PP 10/2 and have been fishing it side by side with my favorite 10lb Mr. Crappie. I liked it's strength but just can't stand the nots on the ends of my rods. It seems every time I set the hook on a fish and miss it flies in the air and wraps arround my pole and I have to mess with it to get it untangled. Any suggestions on what to do or is it something you have to get used to if you use it because if it is I'll have a nice 400yd spool of PP for someone real soon.
    Mike Barnett

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

MB4850 .... it's the nature of the beast. Being that PP braid is dead limp, it's subject to knotting or wrapping easier than mono. It's also very "clingy", when wet.

I'm thinking that .. either you must be fishing very shallow, using a very light lure, and/or setting the hook way too hard ... if you're experiencing the line flying back to the rod tip. I cast 1/16oz lures with my PP 10/2 ... and don't experience such events ... so I'm wondering, just what method are you using (jigging, casting, ???), how much line is out, and what weight lure are you using ??

Try not setting the hook as hard, and see if that helps. Remember ... the braid don't stretch as much as mono, so the hookset power is much greater.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what your doing to have that happen, but have used power pro for a number of years now and still love it. If you having trouble with it then the same or worse will happen with some others. There are several that are as good as Power Pro, but I don't have that kind of trouble.

Some guys don't like it for a number of reasons and most are some kind of knot trouble and I have had some at times, but usually something I did and the strong wind. I normally don't have any trouble with it or my new one I am trying Invisi-Braid by Spider ire, but don't think it would be any better than Power Pro with your issue.

Personally I just like Braid a lot better than mono, but know lots of people don't like it and maybe that is what you will decide.

One big thing is you have to set your drag looser too or problem worse than that will happen. Also just like cp said don't set the hook like your using mono.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

It's very limp so this is where your problem is. If you can use a little heavier jig that will help some. Otherwise there's just a learning curve to it and even then, some people just don't like it. I prefer Fireline myself. Not a true braid but it's a fused Superline even stronger than braids.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the Fireline. I have the same issue with any of the true braids.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer Stren Sonic Braid over power pro.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

This has been a hot topic many times on line threads. Like any fishing line{s} all of them have their pro and cons. Just continue to fish the PP and get used to how it handles and before long you will discover how good it really is.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried the 10/2 and didn't like it for a different reason; I use light jigs (1/32 and less) and the line cuts into itself on the retrieve after several casts. Seems to happen because the jig doesn't put enough tension on the line so that it's a loose wrap on the spool, allowing the cutting in. Once that happens, it won't cast as far or properly for me. I always use a mono backer, maybe 25 feet, but that's just to keep the line from spinning on the spool (slippery).

Post Thanks / Like

I think all braids have a learning curve and some aren't meet to be used on a spincast.
    When I first started useing braid I too had problems with tip wraps,I didn't give up and glad I didn't.I may go for days without a tip wrap and on some days may get 4 or 5 but its still worth the trouble...pp.
    Noticed today that zebco has a braid,didn't check to see if what was what but did notice it looked like pp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fished-out View Post
    I've tried the 10/2 and didn't like it for a different reason; I use light jigs (1/32 and less) and the line cuts into itself on the retrieve after several casts. Seems to happen because the jig doesn't put enough tension on the line so that it's a loose wrap on the spool, allowing the cutting in. Once that happens, it won't cast as far or properly for me. I always use a mono backer, maybe 25 feet, but that's just to keep the line from spinning on the spool (slippery).
    One thing I have read on several different sites is not to use the handle to close the bail. Flip the bail closed by hand, make sure that the line is in the line roller groove, then give the line a light tug, and reel it in. This will put some tension on the line, and the line roller will lay the line properly on the spool. I use Spider Wire 10lb. braid. That's how I do it, and I don't have a problem with the line cutting into itself on the spool. Once you start doing it that way, it's going to feel rather awkward, but after a while it only takes one or two seconds.
    One other thing: when you initially spool the line onto the reel from the package, make sure you put some tension on the line. It doesn't have to be a lot, but you want the line nice and tight on the spool. If you can compress the line with firm pressure from your thumb, it isn't tight enough.
    I love HIM because HE first loved me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast