Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig fishing with no luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig fishing with no luck!

This year is the first year I have been soulfully just using jigs for crappie. Here in my town it has been unseasonably cool and very wet. The days I can get out to fish I am coming home empty cooler cause I can't catch any!!! I've used every color I have. Trolled, drifted, anchored, straight lined, bobbered, cast, etc. I've caught a few peanut bass but no crappie!! I'm wondering if it has been the weather or am I doing something wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is take your time, you have to be really patient. What kind of jig are you using? Marabou or plastic, ect? We need details of exactly what you're using and exactly how you're fishing them to help.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The weather has the fishing all messed up. I don't think you're doing anything wrong, necessarily ... it just might be that you haven't "found" the fish. Even with live bait ... you won't catch fish if they're not there !!
    Normally I'd ask what conditions the lake was in, and what depth & areas would the fish normally be in .... but, with the weather situation being what it's been, I'm not sure that applies, just yet. Maybe, once the weather patterns stabilize, and the water conditions get back to some semblance of "normal" ... and the fish are over the stress of all these fronts, and changes in water levels/temps/clarity ... you'll start seeing better results with your jigs.

... luck2ya

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

hm..
    jigs have always worked, but sometimes your going to have to perk em up. tip it with a minnow head, or a dehydrated minnow ( basically salted and dried minnow). berkley gulp alive also works well.
    crappie cant turn on, and turn off in an instant. keep everything you need with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah crappiepappy may be right about the weather, Don't get too discouraged. it takes time finding your skills.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious, have you fished with someone who does well with jigs? I wanted to start jig fishing too so I went out with a guy but I didn't pay to close of attention to what he was doing so I sort of got discouraged. I went out with another guy and PAID ATTENTION and watched this time. I picked up good information from both of them and I watch Russ Bailey's TV show on line several times for the season and the lake conditions and see what they do on the shows. I am learning, mostly patients right now, and I will learn when the color selection needs to be changed as time goes by.
    These folks here on Crappie.com are really helpful with lots of information but it is still good to see the fish being caught, either with someone or on the CD's or DVD's that are available. Check out this site for Russ Bailey's shows on Midwest Crappie on Midwest Crappie | MyOutdoorTV.com and enjoy the jigging. Ferdi aka Fred

Quote Originally Posted by gridiron View Post
    This year is the first year I have been soulfully just using jigs for crappie. Here in my town it has been unseasonably cool and very wet. The days I can get out to fish I am coming home empty cooler cause I can't catch any!!! I've used every color I have. Trolled, drifted, anchored, straight lined, bobbered, cast, etc. I've caught a few peanut bass but no crappie!! I'm wondering if it has been the weather or am I doing something wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

For crappie I suggest tube jigs. I fish with tube jigs primarily 99% of the time. It is always a good idea to try and locate the fish 1st. What I mean by that is tip the hook with a crappie nibble or wax worm. If they only hit the jig when it is tipped, then obviously keep using them. Sometimes in murky water even if you hit the crappie on the head with your jig, it might not know the difference between that and just any other thing that could hit them underwater. The smell of the tipped jig WILL make jig fishing more successful. I am a true believer of the 1/32 jig head and a 1 1/2" tube jig. Try orange/char, brown/char, purple/white, yellow/white, or black/pink. Those are my favorite colors. The good thing with a tube jig is that you can switch the color as often as needed VERY quickly until you find the color the fish want on that particular day. I also suggest not putting a bobber on until you locate the average depth of the strikes you are getting I hope something I posted here is helpful! You can get just about EVERYTHING I posted for $20 or less, so it is a cheap investment even if you don't have the success fishing jigs that I do. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey gridiron, here is the better site for Russ Bailey Show's on line. Very informative shows for different seasons.
    MidWest Crappie TV Show and Guide Service
    see if this isn't better. Ferdi aka Fred

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gridiron View Post
    I use jigs 99.9% of the time and have great success even this year with all the bad weather. Pay close attention to details such as dirty water means dark colors, Cloudy day use dark colors, Clean water and sunny use bright colors. You also want to use a scent such as Juiced up baits gel or spray, Crappie nibbles, Bee moth or a minnow.
    I hope this helps?
    Tom
    Tom Hankins
    Lake Fork Trophy Lures
    Whisker Seeker Tackle
    Moss Back Fish Rack
    Cumberland Crappie
    G3 Boats