Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sidefinder Success

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sidefinder Success

Allright all of you sidefinder guys. I know a few of you have recently bought the Humminbird 987 si with the sidefinder. The question is... has it helped you catch more fish? Are you able to see fish on structure? Is it worth the $2000? I love the thought of being able to see underwater images but I wanted to hear some success stories before I shell out that much money!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I can tell you that this unit is awesome.

http://www.interphase-tech.com/colortwinscope.htm

I've been using it for a few weeks and once you get past the learning curve it is so easy to find and stay with schools it feels dirty. I love the thing. My only poor coment would be the resolution is not great, but then it hasnt caused a problem either.

Post Thanks / Like

It is the best thing that has come along for fishing in a long time

Post Thanks / Like

ILUVCRAPPIEFISHN,

It has helped me catch more fish. I have found more structure and have a much better understanding of bottom contours. I live in BG, drop me a PM if you want to go out one day and have a look see.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can see fish on the structure. And find plenty of stuff to fish. I think this is the best thing to come along for fishing in a lot of years. And you can get it for a little over $1700 if you look.
    And I would buy again. Here is a few pictures you be the judge if it will show fish on structure.
    Pete
    This is a dock the solid line out front is the edge of the dock.

Baitfish with fish around it.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know the difference between the humminbird 987c and the 981c, there is about 250 difference in price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tim
    Anyone know the difference between the humminbird 987c and the 981c, there is about 250 difference in price.
    The 981 does not have the GPS and its well worth the 250 for the GPS . You can use a handheld on it. but the one on it is something. Else I spent $500 for a Gamin 76C and the one on the 987 is way ahead of it.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I did the research and bought a 981. The only difference is the 987 comes with a +/-$200 GPS receiver. My 981 came with a cable that I connected to my 'fairly modern' GPS which I already had. The GPS only acts as a receiver and the 981 uses its own software (which is the same as all H'birds with GPS capability) to generate the maps/tracks/waypoints. WORKS GREAT. The interface cable came with a bare wire to connect the two. I ended up paying $1,425 for it including shipping.

The resolution is tough to get used. I found that if you reduce the scan distance to something below 150' and only look one way it is real easy to differentiate targets. Still sceptical about 'seeing' fish but I have always been that way about sonar but with the power both units have they should to the best of all.

As to helping, I don't know yet. I can't seem to take the time to fish with all the crusing/searching. My schedule has allowed me to be on the water three times since I got it so I guess I am still within the learning curve. But have figured out a bunch and found several brushpiles, stake beds, laydowns and especially interconnecting creek channels/UW points that I have been passing for years.

Is it worth the money, hell yeah. I love mine and am sure will greatly reduce the searching after I find all there is to find. My 'milk run' of spots has increased 10 fold and gives me a ton of wind dependent choices. Now if I will just take the time to fish them. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Will you be able to mark the spots out away from the boat with your GPS hooked up?
    Also if you can't the extra will be well worth it. AS If I see a log out 75 ft from the boat. I can scroll off to it and mark it.
    Also I have and do find fish on mine.
    pete

Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy
    I did the research and bought a 981. The only difference is the 987 comes with a +/-$200 GPS receiver. My 981 came with a cable that I connected to my 'fairly modern' GPS which I already had. The GPS only acts as a receiver and the 981 uses its own software (which is the same as all H'birds with GPS capability) to generate the maps/tracks/waypoints. WORKS GREAT. The interface cable came with a bare wire to connect the two. I ended up paying $1,425 for it including shipping.

The resolution is tough to get used. I found that if you reduce the scan distance to something below 150' and only look one way it is real easy to differentiate targets. Still sceptical about 'seeing' fish but I have always been that way about sonar but with the power both units have they should to the best of all.

As to helping, I don't know yet. I can't seem to take the time to fish with all the crusing/searching. My schedule has allowed me to be on the water three times since I got it so I guess I am still within the learning curve. But have figured out a bunch and found several brushpiles, stake beds, laydowns and especially interconnecting creek channels/UW points that I have been passing for years.

Is it worth the money, hell yeah. I love mine and am sure will greatly reduce the searching after I find all there is to find. My 'milk run' of spots has increased 10 fold and gives me a ton of wind dependent choices. Now if I will just take the time to fish them. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Pete,

You been catching any fish? I saw that your test came out good. That's good news!

Yes, when I got the gps hooked up I was able to freeze the screen, mark objects with distance readout and also save pictures. I don't have a sd card slot on any of my computers so I can't download and post. I borrowed one to get the update loaded. It took forever for them to get back on how to wire it so I only used it once since connecting, so the 'expanded' learning curve has delayed my fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast