Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Finally after a week of nothing.... 3 keepers!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally after a week of nothing.... 3 keepers!

All, I took the advice of some of you and fished the docks at sailboat cove Friday and Saturday. Caught 7 all together including a bass that snapped my line. 3 of them were keepers. Friday I was getting all sorts of bites, Saturday it really slowed down.

What do the fish like to do when it is warmer outside, deeper water/further away from the bank?

Also, when I fish minnows I just cast and let it drift. Is that correct or should I slowly reel it in? What about when I use jigs and curly tails?

Thanks.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

From my experience, yes, crappie like it much deeper when it warms up. Crappie are cold water fish.... When it comes to minnows, I have only fished with them a few times and we usually found a good depth for the fish and left it there. Jigs I always am reeling. That is just me though and I am by far no expert!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Matt! I just started my Crappie fishing career 2 weeks ago and try to learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Come fix my trolling motor and I'll show you how to fish Smithville. I will catch crappie all summer long up there and never fish deeper than 10'.
    Team Double D - " We're not famous, but we should be."

Post Thanks / Like

keep watching and reading, in the summer on stockton we find lots of fish in 10 ft of water or less, never fished smithville but fish is fish and they all behave similar on all waters.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve I had a guy tell me Sat. morning he caught a limit between the 2 and 3 dock from shore. This time of the year I like little roadrunners and slow retrieve back.Me and the wife played around back by the ramp today caught a bunch but the little ones was in there today, maybe three keepers. Released all fish today.
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

We caught 23 keepers today on gravel banks with stumps or rock . Had to have a deeper channel nearby in 2-4' . They were hanging right on the ledge of the drop off . We caught more female whites full of eggs , but the majority were still males . The females haven't laid their eggs yet .

Post Thanks / Like

The answer to the warm and crappie not sure, the answer to the other question is yes
    7 fish and 3 keepers is pretty good only a couple weeks into crappie fishing! Keep after em'
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all!

Going to hit it again on Monday afternoon/evening and see how it goes. I am going to try out between docks C-D at sailboat cove again.