Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jacomo - 5.7.2011

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jacomo - 5.7.2011

After getting home from work at 1AM, I decided to be on the water by 6AM... not a huge deal considering the proximity of the house and Jacomo, but still, maybe a little too daring on the sleep deprivation... I really wanted to go to Smithville, but with my current boat, I really don't feel comfortable heading out in it alone on a Saturday... thats what PTO during the work week is for... :D

Anyhow. By 6.15 I was busting the banks on the big arm south of the boat ramp, at the same time I was dragging a minnow (left over from when I took the girls out Tuesday) about 4-6' deep. The minnow took a hit, and I pulled in a small male, which I promptly threw back, rebaited, and set the line back in. Not two minutes later, it bounced again, with another small male, that I again let go. I continued to work my way into the first cut, and right on the point on my way out, my jig took a hit, and I pulled in a 9" male. Then another not two feet away from the first!

So, long story short, probably the best day of crappie fishing I've ever had a Jacomo, I was off the water by 11.30, with 13 fish in the livewell, and I estimate I probably boated 25-35 fish by 9.30 am.

It was a little strange that once the sun fully came up, it just stopped. Normally on Jacomo I have quite the opposite luck (once the sun goes down it dies...)

But if anyone is wanting to go, the males are still on the spawn banks, roughly 4' - 6' down. I caught them all on 1) a 1/16 oz feather jig, fire red head, white tail (when the boat was in 15 FOW or less) or 2) 1/8 oz Crappie Critter or Puddle Jumper, weedless fire red head, white body (when the wind was blowing or I was sitting in deeper water.)
    I need my sleep... I need about eight hours a day, and at least ten at night. - Bill Hicks

Post Thanks / Like

Great report, and great day. That makes me want to hit Jacomo Sunday. I've got a spot where a marked pile used to be and it would be hammer time right now. last time I fished it, was the same pattern you are describing, caught a load of 10-14" crappie.

This spot is almost down to the colbern marina, it's in a little corner across from the bluff. Good fishing over that way.

Post Thanks / Like

great report, congrat's on a great day as well, gotta get my tag's next week and i'll be getting out there, thank's for the great info and again WTG!!!
    why do today what you can put off til tomorrow, go fishing instead!!!

Post Thanks / Like

good report....... glad you had a good day. sure sounds like fun. congrats.
    We do not want the gift of a fish; neither do we expect a lesson on fishing; what we direly need is a chance to fish