Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How do crappie react when lakes start flooding?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do crappie react when lakes start flooding?

There are people still catching fish like crazy here on the foot in some places. Alot of places where old timers always have fished are not producing as well. I was wondering if anyone knows how crappie react when the water gets up and lakes start flooding. Do they venture out, stay where they are at, or go back little deeper? Just curious of some thoughts on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump
    Must be a secret!!
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, and just from what I've observed, they, as well as most other fish, move into the flooded areas looking for food. There are a lot of worms and insects in the flooded grass and woods, and they fatten up nicely on 'em. This time of year (spawn), they will spawn wherever they did last year, in most cases. Younger fish may try to spawn farther into the flooded areas. The rising water almost triggers them to start feeding like crazy. The slowed rising as the crest comes seems to trigger them to spawn, when combined with water temperature and # of daylight hours. Falling water obviously drives 'em back to where they came from. All my observations and deciphering.
    Mississippi Crappie and Alabama football...Life is good.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I second that on useing worm like lures since where it floods the worms come out of the ground cuz they're sufficating... I would use small worm like lures when it floods.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool they hide from the currents

the typical reaction to flow is:

Really, they will get on the downside of any structure to keep from being washed away.
    Bridge pilings, brushpiles etc.
    Now you gotta get in really tight to the pilings, have the jig actually bump on it all the
    way down.
    Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

They quit biting and send all their snake buddys out to scare the fire out them dummies in boats.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I bet when it floods they feast on ground worms a lot. Every time it rains even in puddles you can see all the earth worms on the bottom trying to get out before they run out of oxygen.