Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: lake shawnee bluegill beds

Post Thanks / Like

Default lake shawnee bluegill beds

i was just wondering why i never see any gill beds in the back of coves on lake shawnee? i know there gills in there, is it just too turbid in there or something else.

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlsloan View Post
    i was just wondering why i never see any gill beds in the back of coves on lake shawnee? i know there gills in there, is it just too turbid in there or something else.
    dlsloan,

I asked your question to Richard Sanders, KDWP District Fisheries Biologist for Lake Shawnee, and his reply is below.

Craig,

I don't have a definite answer answer for this question. There is a good population of bluegill in Lake Shawnee, so we know spawning is occuring at a significant level. Water clarity can vary quite a bit there depending on runoff, wind and phytoplankton densities. The water is clear enough at times that beds should be spotted in areas free of waterwillow - if bluegill are using these areas for spawning. Much of the lake has substantial waterwillow and bluegill are likely spawning on the edge of the waterwillow or deeper, so these beds would not be visible most of the time.

Richard

Post Thanks / Like

thank you very much

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Shawnee has some real good bluegill fishing, the last couple summers my son and his buddies have spent most of their time bringing buckets of them home for me to clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishlessDan View Post
    Lake Shawnee has some real good bluegill fishing, the last couple summers my son and his buddies have spent most of their time bringing buckets of them home for me to clean.
    i remember doing that as a kid, what fun