Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Weiss Bound Sat - 25 Mar

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Weiss Bound Sat - 25 Mar

New to the web site and ready to catch some slabs. My wife, son and I have relined all the reels, restocked the jigs and are ready to go. I got my 7 year old son hooked on fishing when he was 3. I have lost my fair share of needle nose pliers, jigs, minnows and dip nets since then (looks neat when you drop them over the side of the boat ), but now he is quite the fisherman... This will be the first year the wife goes in a while. Been watching the weather channel and it looks like rain all week prior to our getting there - we are hoping for the best and will be fishing out of JR's Marina. See ya there. wldkat
    wldkat
    Take a kid fishin' Never know, one day they might take you...
    J~ <(((><

Post Thanks / Like

WLDKAT,

Send me a PM before you leave and I can tell you where I am catching them.

Post Thanks / Like

WLDKAT, Good Luck and have fun...
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

WLDKAT, Good luck and becareful, let us know how yall did planning on going to weiss very soon

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Wldkat ...

Quote Originally Posted by wldkat
    New to the web site and ready to catch some slabs. My wife, son and I have relined all the reels, restocked the jigs and are ready to go. I got my 7 year old son hooked on fishing when he was 3. I have lost my fair share of needle nose pliers, jigs, minnows and dip nets since then (looks neat when you drop them over the side of the boat ), but now he is quite the fisherman... This will be the first year the wife goes in a while. Been watching the weather channel and it looks like rain all week prior to our getting there - we are hoping for the best and will be fishing out of JR's Marina. See ya there. wldkat
    Just got back from there: Fished Little River area mostly ... long line trolling the channel edges with 1/16oz jigs in early AM to midday, then shooting docks & trolling the shallows in the late afternoon ... water temps ranged from 57-60deg ... lake still down a couple of feet ... water color good ... caught around 40/day - mostly 10-12" fish. A week of warmer weather, and no major downpours and the fish should be on the nest !! We didn't have the best of weather conditions, but still managed some decent numbers. No particular color or color combination seemed to work all the time ... but, depth control WAS key to catching them. Forget about the fish you see down near the bottom - key on the suspended fish. We fished mostly 8-15ft of water ... and our jigs ran from 4-10ft deep, accordingly. Hope you have better weather, and do better than we did .......... luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Hey crappiepappy I have a question. You say you long line troll. Why do you do this instead of spider rigging? Is there a big difference? I am getting set up to spider rig, but it sounds like what you do may be easier. Maybe you can shed some light on this for me. Thanks.
    But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cc2 ...

Quote Originally Posted by crappiechaser2
    Hey crappiepappy I have a question. You say you long line troll. Why do you do this instead of spider rigging? Is there a big difference? I am getting set up to spider rig, but it sounds like what you do may be easier. Maybe you can shed some light on this for me. Thanks.
    Basically, what I was doing could be considered "Spider Rigging". I called it "longline trolling" because I was only using 2 poles. But, when you factor in the fact that there was 3 of us in the boat ... all using 2-3 poles apiece, then we were "basically" Spider Rigging. It's all a matter of interpretation. I called it "longline" trolling, because we were dragging the jigs well behind the boat. Sorry for any confusion on the issue. I don't troll much, unless the conditions call for it ... so I'm not all that familiar with the correct nomenclature of the methods :D
    The boat, I was fishing from, was rigged with pole holders. Three holders per rack ... one rack at each side of the rear of the boat, and two racks at the front. So, it's set up for "Spider Rigging", "Longline Trolling", or whatever you want to call it. It could, also, be used to "tightline" fish from ....cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for explaining it to me. Sounds like either works fine.
    But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Post Thanks / Like

I just found out yesterday that my son has to go to school the first 3 days of spring break to make up for 3 snow days we had. The folks at Weiss Marina and JR's were both kind enough change our accomadiations a week later. So it looks like we leave Sat the 1st of April now. Might work out better now as it sure dropped in temp here. I've been tracking the weather and hope the rain and cold holds off. Appreciate the info Crappiepappy - and Bibbob - I'll contact you before I depart. Thanks to all - wldkat
    wldkat
    Take a kid fishin' Never know, one day they might take you...
    J~ <(((><