Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Record-setting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Record-setting

This is certainly a record-setting year for fish. Or actually, for fishermen catching big fish.

This time it's a HUGE REDEAR out of Lake Havasu that is a likely contender for a world record.

Right now, it's a semi-official Arizona state record for the Colorado River. This huge redear (they feed on quagga mussels) tipped the scales at 5.55 pounds and was 16.75 inches long with a 19-inch girth. It was caught by Robert Lawler of Lake Havasu City on May 2 using a Texas-rigged 7-inch Power Worm.
    A big thanks to John Galbraith of BassTackleMaster.com for providing us the photo on the right.
    We talk about plate-sized panfish -- this was more like a platter-sized one.
    The existing state record redear was caught Feb. 16, 2010 at Lake Havasu by a California angler and it weighed 4 pounds 2.24 ounces and was 15.5 inches long.
    Once again this week (and next), I am producing the fishing report on the run in between other assignments and duties, so I apologize in advance if my tips are a little short.

Great news -- the Woods Canyon Store and Marina is now open. The trout fishing there is good for both stocked trout and not too bad for larger holdover trout as well. The Big Lake Store and Marina has been open for some time. The Luna Lake Store is apparently open on weekends for some boat rentals (not sure about their selection).

Based on recent reports, despite the windy weather at times, fishing is really picking up in the high country. Typically, water temperatures in May can reach near optimum levels for trout. May and October can be the two top trout producers in our high country lakes.

With the weather in the deserts pushing toward the triple-digit mark (not quite according to the forecast), the cool high country is sounding pretty darn good right now.

On May 4 we have a waxing crescent moon, with a quarter moon by this weekend. Full moon is May 17. Nighttime temperatures are getting into the upper sixties and possibly the low seventies this week. Crappie or striper fishing at night under lights might pay some big dividends right now. At least two anglers cleaned up on crappie at night on Roosevelt this past weekend. It's that time.

Keep in mind that the nighttime temperatures also have a lot of influence on the lake temperatures. Hopefully, water temperatures in our beautiful desert impoundments will pop into that magical upper sixties, lower seventies range, prompting bass, shad and other fish to significantly increase their activity levels.
    This is also bluegill time, which is great for the youngsters. Try night crawlers or mealworms in the backs of coves.
    The leading edge of the channel catfish season is now underway. Great for shore fishing. Try stink baits, hot dogs or shrimp. Saguaro is often the early catfish king, but Alamo Lake can steal the crown on any given day.

Here's a sweet deal you might want to know about for those who buy a fishing license. Visit http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/coupon.html for all the details. Just a little rebate icing from Shakespeare on the fishing cake.

So get out and catch some super spring memories. Maybe I'll see you out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow what a fish. I have caught some monsters before, but that thing is massive. If I caught that I would first have to check myself out to see if I was dreaming or not.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!!!!!! That thing is HUGH!!!!!!! That had to have been a blast

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard they get big, but that is the first time I have ever seen one. THANKS FOR POSTING!!!

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome fish no doubt. My only wish is it had been caught by somebody fishing for crappie or bluegills/redears. Sounds like a bass fisherman caught it.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    Awesome fish no doubt. My only wish is it had been caught by somebody fishing for crappie or bluegills/redears. Sounds like a bass fisherman caught it.
    +1 Hate to stereotype, but when I read he was bass fishing I pictured him in his Sparkley Ditch Rocket flying down some river bout swamping several boats fishing pads and brush for Crappie and Bream, cussin em as he passed and laughing at em for chasin such small fish. And now he is holding a record fish. And still looks p'd off he caught such nonsense.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 05-06-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is Wow!!!!!!

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huntinslabs View Post
    +1 Hate to stereotype, but when I read he was bass fishing I pictured him in his Sparkley Ditch Rocket flying down some river bout swamping several boats fishing pads and brush for Crappie and Bream, cussin em as he passed and laughing at em for chasin such small fish. And now he is holding a record fish. And still looks p'd off he caught such nonsense.
    good chuckle.......
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"