Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hey Ya'll New Guy Here!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Ya'll New Guy Here!

Just found this site last night and wanted to introduce myself and give my 2 cents. I live in southeastern part of the state in the headwaters of Lake Cumberland. I do all my crappie fishing in the spring here in the headwaters on both tributaries, Cumberland River and Big South Fork, and do quite well. Been many many times and limited out and had to leave, only to return the next day! This area is not over fished like some of the big name lakes, like KY and Barkley, but guarentee I can catch just as many here as there. I know this is bragging and I really don't mean to, but I just wanted others to know that it's not necessary to go all over the place to find crappie. Things are expensive enough without having to drive all over the state and elsewhere to find crappie. And I've done that too.....Highly recommend Center Hill Lake in Tn if you're in the area or going that way. I 10 to 1 rather fish with minnows, but I do and will use jigs when the little buggars get finicky. The water level currently is at a very good level, most cover is underwater at the right depth. If it gets higher, the cover is too deep and they won't be there in any sizable numbers, and naturally, if the level is too low, there's no cover in the water. That's the downside to fishing the headwaters, water level is critical and any fluctuation is noticed there way before it's noticed on the lake. I've got a few "hidden honey holes" that have never failed. I've had real good success all thru the fall, say down in late October, early November. You just have to "know" where to look, and that comes with practice. They move towards the lake as spring progresses and turns into summer, and I just follow them. But, I might add, I've never been so far towards the lake where it was over 300-400 yards wide!!! As the water warms they just go deeper and I just fish deeper.
    I've crappie fished Laurel quite a few years ago and did well there, haven't done much in past 7-8 yrs just wondered if anyone knew if they were still there in catchable numbers.
    I better shut up, this is going to be too long to read!!! LOL
    Anyways, glad I found this site and I promise, not to pester too much!!!

crappie-dude

Post Thanks / Like

I have been crappie fishing Laurel on and off the last 6-7 months. I have fished a few places around the Lake haven't caught a thing. The only place I have caught anything is at Grove Marina. I usually catch something every time I drop a minnow down beside the docks. You may catch one and it be an hour before you catch another,but I got to say no off them has been under 12 inchs.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Hey crappie-dude
    I also live in southeastern ky. Maybe we could get together sometime and you could show my dad and I how to catch some crappie on Lake Cumberland as we are kinda new to crappie fishing. Welcome to the site and let's go fishing sometime.
    All in all you're just another fish on my wall.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sounds Good

Hey Matt,

Sounds good to me. I'm always eager to go fishing with others and learn new tactics. We should make plans for a trip real soon. We can go to the headwaters of Cumberland at the mouth of Laurel and get into some of my "ole" holes.

Post Thanks / Like

Just let us know when you are going and we will meet you. Would enjoy having your input on some successful crappie fishing. PM when you are planning to go.
    All in all you're just another fish on my wall.