Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rigging the Dropshot for panfish??

The JigGuy Guest

Default Rigging the Dropshot for panfish??

I am curious if anyone has done it or has experimented with it. I think it would be a great way to hook up on highly pressured bluegills. Please post your setup including rod, lure, weight, etc.

- The JigGuy

Post Thanks / Like

Spence Petros wrote an article about this in the "Crappie" mag. His rigs were just like the ones the bass guys use but with lighter line, smaller hooks and smaller plastics.

Post Thanks / Like

I have dropshotted for crappie and gills out here in California. The lakes here are gin clear so the stay deep most of the year. I use a 6'6" G-loomis IMX spinning rod wit ha quantum kenetic PTi10 spinning reel spooled with vanish 6lb test. I chose 6lb because of the large amounts of hugh bass out here. I normally use a #2-#4 red drophot hook with the desired body on it. Have had decent luck with it too.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Wow

Thats about $300 bucks for bluegill fishin... And to think, i started with a .50 cent cane pole.:D

The JigGuy Guest

What are some of your favorite lures to use?

Some lures ive been thinking about:

Berkeley trout worm

Berkeley panfish grub

Small tubes

Flys like the wooly bugger

Any suggestions? I would really like to know what you've had success with.

Thanks - The JigGuy

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Chaunc,

A friend of mine just dropped $850 on a bamboo fly rod for trout and bluegill!

Oh well, that's cheaper than a boat!

JigGuy,

I think any of those would work. Why don't you put three hooks on your rig with a different bait on each hook?

Crappiencali,

How do you like the Quantum reel? I've always been a big fan of Shimano, but I've heard a lot of good things about Quantum. I might have to try one for my next reel.

The JigGuy Guest

Stopped by the local fishing store today and picked up some berkeley trout worms in various colors, berkeley power honey worm in various colors, Eagle claw size 6 aberdeen light wire hooks, owner dowshot sinkers in 1/8 and 1/16 and stren magnathin line. This should round out my panfish drop shot rod, which is a quantum teton trout rod. I may be able to get out to a small lake tomorrow to see how my setup works.

- The JigGuy

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Drop Shotin

I Started Doing That Years Ago --before Drop Shotin ---
    Just Used A Dropper Loop About 12-14 " Above A Sinker [usally A Split Shot] ---worked Then And It Still Works
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Default honeyworms

Honey worms, natural are very goods for gills, second only to popping bugs. I cast them on a #4 hook with no weight, and allow them to sink to bottom. If gills are around it will not sink far!!!