PDA

View Full Version : Running the boat the first time since last year....

wannalearn
03-16-2006, 03:37 PM
I'm about to take my boat out for the first time since I let it sit during the winter. Could someone give me some pointers of what to do other than normal starting procedures ?
Thanks

BarryG
03-16-2006, 03:42 PM
Did you change your lower unit oil last year? If not change it first. Check your motor & TM for fishing line on them so they don't get anymore screwed up than they are. Drain the gas out of the gas line instead of pumping the old gas into the motor. Make sure your batteries are fully charged. Put the plug in the boat BEFORE you launch!!!! Have a SAFE trip!!! :D

EDDY CREEK BANDIT
03-16-2006, 04:00 PM
If it is possible hook up to the water hose at home and see if it starts. I find it a lot easier to check it out at home before I put her in the water.

THE BANDIT

wannalearn
03-16-2006, 05:46 PM
If it is possible hook up to the water hose at home and see if it starts. I find it a lot easier to check it out at home before I put her in the water.

THE BANDIT
I'd like to try this but where do I connect the hose to ?
Also, Thanks for the help Barry.

BarryG
03-16-2006, 06:20 PM
You need something like this.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=58531&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

They have cheaper ones than this one around though, I think I paid about $8 for mine.

MAINEIAC
03-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Any Marine Supply or I think Wally World has them. A must for prior to the first launch or to flush out after a salt water trip.

sccamper
03-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Those wrap around jobs dont fit my motor so I stick it in a big trash can full of water.

TexFisher
03-16-2006, 09:10 PM
Did you happen to put any stabil in it before storage. That will help keep your lines clean and your gas fresh. Or so I'm told. I didn't store my boat over the winter, been using it all along, but I do put sta-bil in it every couple of tanks for so.

Bigbass91
03-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Did you change your lower unit oil last year? If not change it first. Check your motor & TM for fishing line on them so they don't get anymore screwed up than they are. Drain the gas out of the gas line instead of pumping the old gas into the motor. Make sure your batteries are fully charged. Put the plug in the boat BEFORE you launch!!!! Have a SAFE trip!!! :D
How do you change the lower unit oil on a 90' Merecry?

slimjim
03-16-2006, 09:49 PM
roll tide roll

from Illinois

slimjim
03-16-2006, 09:54 PM
Texfisher mentions putting Stabil in the fuel at the end of last season.. I don't know if you have a 2 stroke or a four stroke but it has been recomended to me for my 4-stroke yamaha to run the stabil year round. just a thought

jim

BarryG
03-16-2006, 10:43 PM
I always put stabil in when I empty a tank! I add the oil at the same time and that way I fill it up and am ready to go. I do this every time because I never know how long it will be before I get to go fishing again!

Bigbass
To change your lower unit oil, put a pan under your motor and take the drain screws out, then after all the oil drains out put your oil filler hose in the lower hole and fill until it comes out the top hole. When this happens put your top screw back in and take your filler hose out and put the lower screw back in and your done!

crappiekiller2
03-18-2006, 10:20 AM
I have been told Sea-foam works better than stabil. Will use it this year in my 90 horse 4 stroke and see if it helps.

paw paw perch
03-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Bigbass91, look down there on the foot of the motor at the very bottom you see a drain plug that will take a large straight blade screwdriver to remove. Look up above the cavitation plate, there is another plug just like the drain plug, remove both after putting a catch pan under it to catch the old oil. after it drains,don't be in a hurry it goes sloooow. go to marine dealer or walmart and get new merc. oil for lower unit, put tube in bottom drain hole and fill till it runs out top hole, reinstall both plugs and your done.

wannalearn
03-18-2006, 12:58 PM
you guys rock. :D