Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to crappie fishing at Smithville lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to crappie fishing at Smithville lake

I have decided to take up a new hobby, fishing. As a kid I used to fish for catfish in Pa. everyday.

I live close to Smithville lake and don't have a boat so I am bank fishing. I have tried a few different lures (jigs with different colors on both a number 2 hook and some of those horizontal weighted things). Forgive my ignorance on this. I have been fishing across from the camp branch entrance where all the trees come up out of the water, with no luck. I have been fishing 2-4ft down with a bobber.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I really don't think I know what I am doing.

Thanks.

Steve

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep doing it, sounds like they are moving in and when they do you can do no wrong! Look at some of the other Smithville posts, not mine! Has not worked for me yet,

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Keefer!

I am going back later this afternoon to try some more!

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

I fish from Smithville's bank quite a bit. If you put a minnow 2-5 feet under a bobber, it can be really fun .. never really sure what will hit up there. Sounds like you're right on track, and like Keefer said, it's just a matter of a few days now until you'll be catching crappie left & right. If you're looking for spots to fish from, just grab a map and take note of the Lake Access Points .. there's some pretty good bank spots.

Hope that helps, good luck and keep us posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of bank fishermen get on the rip-rap (rocks) that are on the dam, or on any of the bridges. If you go North on C Hiway, to W, then go West. You will cross the lake in several places. The two big bridges get a lot of bank fishemen. For a new guy, minnows would probably be best! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Saw 'em being caught southeast side of w bridge today by guys fishing the bank. Good luck. God bless.
    "Confidence in your God given abilities will add more crappie to your daily limit!"

Post Thanks / Like

there is good fishing this time of year in sailboat cove back by the old dock at the ramp!
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Caught a few today directly behind Camp Branch marina, casting from the bank toward the dock about 6 or 8 feet deep. Letting the jig fall to a 6 or 7 count before I ever moved the line. Also got a few from the rip rap on the south side of W bridge casting with a cork into the wind as far as I could, then just let it ride on the waves. Put em all back, now that they're trained to come to a black and chartreuse bobby garland stroller, it should be a little easier for ya to catch em. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all!

Fished across from CampBranch in the little cove and off the rocks around the point..... nothing :-(

Going to try by the bridge along the road if the rain lets up. Also, should I try even if it is raining? I am not afraid to get wet :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Those fish don't care if it's raining, but they will move off the banks if it thunders a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast