Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: First May trip

Post Thanks / Like

Default First May trip

Went out to Offutt Lake this afternoon round 3pm after I came back from Cabela's to exchange the enormous spoons I got online.

Sat on the eastern shore facing the sun, looking at the water which was still like a mirror, no action for a good 15 minutes when I decided to take out my Shakespeare rod and spinner (Blue Fox Vibrax UV orange blade) and work on my reeling when I noticed a few dark patches in the water, first I thought it was obstructions like chunks of concrete then I noticed they were moving slowly. Got a sharp tug on the line and started reeling when it came off, kept casting and bringing it in, annoying little perch were nabbing at it.

When I finally saw that the dark patches I noticed they were walleye, I started slowing down the spinner and unfortunately got caught on something. So I lost that one. Made the switch to a crankbait so I could stay above the obstructions and bring it closer to the level that i could make out where the fish were making their rounds on the shoreline, that's when I noticed a fish break the water with a jump about 50 yards out and could notice small ripples where the dark patches were. Obviously the constant use of the spinner was attracting them but not biting. As soon as i got out my other rod with a X-rap shallow crankbait on it it went dead, there was no motion in the water at all. Made the switch back to spinner (yellow blade) once again I could see walleye making their way to break the surface of the water when I lost the second spinner.

So after that and not being able to entice the walleye with the X-raps or anything light enough stay clear of the obstruction that was claiming my gear, I called it quits. I had class soon anyways. I'll pick up new spinners tomorrow.
    Last edited by ChrisCarter; 05-03-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It can be flusterating at times trying to get them to bite. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p