Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: wind questions???

Post Thanks / Like

Default wind questions???

Hi Peeps

I've been fishing everyday now for the past 2 or 3 months....... really....

It's been windy off and on and I'm not sure which side of the ponds I should be fishing on. If the wind is blowing north, should I be fishing south? or should I be fishing into the wind? Do the crappie stay on the bottom of the ponds on really windy days? Do they bite the same on windy days?

TIA

Beth

Post Thanks / Like

First, you fish way too much there is probably no more crappie left
    I usually fish the bank where the wind i blowing into, tends to push baitfish and stuff along the banks.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drill instructor
    First, you fish way too much there is probably no more crappie left
    I usually fish the bank where the wind i blowing into, tends to push baitfish and stuff along the banks.
    I do the same here with a good catch rate..
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of time the rough water will sometimes bring the fish toward the surface (depending on water temp). Well that has been my experience anyway. When it is windy we do not usaully catch lots of fish out of the wind so my experience has been the same as the others that posted.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Beth I need your job or lack of one LOL.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

The Wind whips up the wave action and that increases the amount of oxygen that gets dissolved into the surface waters. And high winds are often associated with frontal conditions. Also the waves help reflect more of the sunlight off the water and less light enters the water. If you can control the boat fishing in the wind can be productive. We fished KY lake in the past and back in those days we would have to use oars to get around without the gas engines. So we often would motor upwind of a good spot and let the wind push the boat to the spot. We drifted pass the spot and then repeated. After a few passes with the wind we would move to the next good spot. After a week of doing this you get pretty good at setting up the boat upwind so that it drifts right where you want it too. No trolling motor noise to scare the fish is a benefit of this method. These days you might even throw out a drift net to slow you down.
    Quote Originally Posted by callshy
    Lots of time the rough water will sometimes bring the fish toward the surface (depending on water temp). Well that has been my experience anyway. When it is windy we do not usaully catch lots of fish out of the wind so my experience has been the same as the others that posted.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default wind

Fishing from shore, in your face.From a boat anchor with the wind at your back, using a trolling motor, if its mild same as above, if its a real breeze and you cant anchor GO HOME thats what i have been doing lately, why fish a crappy day for crappies?