Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Should I Ask a Guide?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Should I Ask a Guide?

Since I'm not much good at finding fish, I'm hiring a guide. But I told him I'd rather he teach me how to find fish, than to just drive me out to a spot and tell me to "fish here"

So help me ask the right questions....Should the questions be specific to this particular lake? I think I should ask some questions about how to know what a fish finder is telling me, but what those would be, I don't know....

What do I want to know BEFORE I start fishing?

Thanks

vic

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you ended up getting Richard you can ask him about anything you want and will get a truthful awnser. You want to ask what depths to fish at differant times of the year. Differant sturctures to fish at differant times of the year. Pay attention to the equipment he uses and other equipment he has in the boat. Electrinics questions are always helpful also. Ask about frontal conditions and how he changes to still catch fish. Boat control is the thing you will find the most unbelievable if fishing with Richard. I have heard many stories about how he can hold the boat on a cedar tree in any wind conditions. That is something that is so important when fishing standing timber but is something that will take many years of practise to master. Most of all have fun and let him show you how he fishes. Don't forget a tip. Most guides do not get paid other than tips and not having to work elsewhere at the marina that day. Have a great time.

Post Thanks / Like

All good questions, thanks....and I always make sure I tip anyone who takes care of me.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a great time. The fishing is getting real good. So should not take long to catch a bunch of fish and then ask all the questions you can. Have him take you to jackson and get pictures of the bald eagles if you have time.

Post Thanks / Like

We saw two eagles last week in Cedar Creek...one flew off and the other one started to, but then swooped back down and grabbed up a fish or something off the surface...amazing!!

I told Richard I didn't really care so much about taking a bunch of fish home...I was more interested in learning how to find them....I'm sure it will be both a blast and an informative day!!

Post Thanks / Like

Vic,

I'm in the same boat as you. I saw Richard at the marina today and told him he needs to teach me how to catch fish sometime soon. I'm going to wait until the spawn is over and get down there and learn the post spawn and summer pattern.

I would love for him to show me and clarify channels, drop offs, how to spot cover, etc. How deep to fish in different times, dip trees, poor man spider rig, etc. Those are the type of things I plan on trying to get help on.

I had so much fun catching fish today. It's kinda sad that I can only do it in the spawn. I'm dreaming of the time when I can go out pre spawn and post spawn and at least catch a few fish. All I do now it learn how to put my boat in the water, use my trolling motor, but never catch fish. I'm ready for the catching fish step.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you, Jack! I'm tired of having a boat sitting around because I'm afraid it will be a waste of time to go any time but during the spawn! I have grandkids that I'm dying to put into some fish, but they are still in school now, and I work nights....when I learn to catch fish, they are the first ones I will take out!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just remember that guide is on the water LOTS each week, which makes it much easier for him to stay on the fish and keep up with their patterns than it is for a weekender fisherman (most of us have to work). I'd want him to explain to me HOW he looks for fish in a brand new spot (or a different lake), such as what he wants to see on a graph and at what depths he starts checking and whether he moves deeper or shallower in his search. I'd probably be like a three year old constantly asking WHY! WHY! WHY!:D:D:D

Youre going with the right attitude. Like the 'ole saying goes: Catch a man a fish and he eats a meal.........teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.:p
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I would wait till after the spawn for sure,anybody can catch fish now on truman,hate to spend 250 dollars for 15 minutes of fishn,i would suggest waitn till fishn gets tough,i know it would be hard to predict a cold front conditions,but that would be the time to hire one..good luck...

Post Thanks / Like

I made it clear that I didn't want him to just drive me out and point at a spot and say "fish here". I asked him to "teach" me, and from what everyone who knows him says, he will honor that request. Believe me, I will ask him about pre-spawn, spawn, and post-spawn. I told him I could go out during the spawn and catch fish, but I want to learn to fish year-round.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast