Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Questions to Ask Your Guide

Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions to Ask Your Guide

I'm not much good at finding fish, other than when they are on the banks....I'd like to know what you would ask a guide to learn how to find fish at other times...

I don't mean asking for his coordinates, but what are some of the critical questions you want answers to when you go to a new (or even a local) lake? What do you want to know before you ever wet a line?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I would get a map and talk to him about the seasonal patterns.

Guides can follow the fish pretty easy because they spend so much time on the water.

I would also talk about tackle and when and how to use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Im a fishing Guide. I love to share everything I know to a paying client. When on the water for 8 to 10 hours you can go over a lot. However, if it is just someone asking for info at a ramp or at the bait store I will tell them how deep, what end of the lake, and whats hot to pull or jig with. But I won't go into more than that unless they come out for a day.

It really is easier to teach from the boat. And it is worth $300.00 for a one on one experience for an entire day. Plus, you get some good association...lol

D
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice, thanks... the reason I'm asking is that I will fish with a highly recommended guide tomorrow. I told him I was more interested in learning to find fish on my own than in just going out and filling a livewell while I was with him.

Got the map and a list of questions...I know I'll learn a lot, but sometimes it seems like I get in my own way too much.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you will have fun.

A good guide will be a good teacher to clients who want to learn without reserve. He shows you how to tie your own knots, rigs, ext. He shows you how to find structure. What bait to use at certain times. Water temps - clear or stained conditions - how that effects fishing. He will also show you bobber methods, trolling methods, free-line, long line..ext. Learn how to bottom bounce, drop shot, capps and coleman rig, back troll, drift fish, dead sticking, night fishing, plugs, spinners, tubes. He could also describe line types for certain presentations. When to use braid, when to use mono or flora?

Other important things to learn? Boat control, anchor methods, approach for shallow waters, lighting (if night fishing), creating structure and how to mark it? How to make your own spinning baits or how to use scent?

Then there is live bait. And on and on.

Hope some of this helps,

D
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.