Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Rods / Reels ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Rods / Reels ?

I was trying to decide on what trolling rods to buy. I have looked at BNM slow troll 16.5' rods and Mr. Crappie tight line rods, only on the internet. I am willing to spend the extra money for the Mr. Crappie tight line rods or something similar, but is it worth it. Just would like some feedback on a comparison from some experienced trollers. In addition, what type of reel? Small bait caster like mini buck or small spin cast?
    Thanks and good fishing
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

If you are planning to slow-troll alot, I would recommend the BnM Pro Staff Trolling rods. They are sensitive, but very strong and it will last you for a long time. I really like mine, and am planning to buy several more of these.

Post Thanks / Like

BnM are the best, i use mine for long line trolling and slow trolling. Never had a fish break one and i have caught some huge striper on them. They started the crappie rods all others are just copies
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SLABSTALKER
    I was trying to decide on what trolling rods to buy. I have looked at BNM slow troll 16.5' rods and Mr. Crappie tight line rods, only on the internet. I am willing to spend the extra money for the Mr. Crappie tight line rods or something similar, but is it worth it. Just would like some feedback on a comparison from some experienced trollers. In addition, what type of reel? Small bait caster like mini buck or small spin cast?
    Thanks and good fishing
    IMHO, you can use about any rod and reel you want. I have used everything from little wimpy rods with spinning reels and I have used BnM's. The only thing about the little rods is you have to be careful turning to keep your line out of your big motor. Other than that they all will work just fine.

I think it all comes down to what you like to use.

I always stop my troll motor when I get a fish on anyway. Don't want to pull the hook out.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

if the water is clear, you want to get the bait away from the boat, by using longer rods. If muddy, it won't matter as much, unless it real shallow. I use 2 10's in the middle, 2 12's outside of those and 2 14's outside of those, unless there is standing timber in the area, then, I use the 10's on the outside and reverse the others to tighten up the spread. I use mostly BnM, but the 14's are Wally Marshall, which are too heavy to hold anyway.I also like to use low profile baitcaster reels. They have a good drag that doesn't stick as often as spinning reels and also they won't throw a loop, when fishing in the wind and the rods are bouncing. I would stay away from the cheap line holders. They aren't really reels, just a place to keep the line. I use my bass reels that I retire every year. You can also get used reels on ebay that will work fine.
    jc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Chaser
    If you are planning to slow-troll alot, I would recommend the BnM Pro Staff Trolling rods. They are sensitive, but very strong and it will last you for a long time. I really like mine, and am planning to buy several more of these.
    I agree with Crappie Chaser, pro staff rods are strong and work great.
    Reels are your choice, I like the Mitchell 308X gold spinning reels.
    Fishing is a way of life. Teach your grandchildren to fish, hunt and enjoy the outdoors

Post Thanks / Like

Default I use Wally's

I currently use the wally 12' and 14'. Just got the set-up finished this year and only used it once so far. I started out with 1/2 ounce lead on them and bumped it up to one ounce before I could barely get the tip to bend. I'll have to post more after I actually get more use of them.

Post Thanks / Like

i use both bnm pro staff and wally marshall tightline.there is very little difference in them.the bnm is a little stronger and has a longer handle.i have four bnm slotrolls they are good for having extras when you carry someone because they will collapse and fit in my rod box. but they do not compare to either the pro staff or tightline.www.monkscrappie.com has the 16 ft tightline for 34.99

Post Thanks / Like

Slabstalker, Richard Williams has good poles too. I bought three of his and they handle great.

http://www.crappiestuff.com/richard_...pie_poles.html
    Last edited by fishingpox; 03-19-2006 at 09:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Richards rods are the only ones for me from now on...Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast