Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crappie rod an reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie rod an reel

Hey guys new to the site.
    I'm a big bass fisherman, but haven't really spent much time catching crappie. I'd like to try and get some in the boat this summer and was wondering what rod and reel I should look into buying. I don't want to spend more than 50 or 60 bucks on the combo, but don't want it to be a piece of junk either. Think yall could give me some advice?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

we can give info if you let us know what type of fishing you plan on doing if your going to be trolling tightling or shooting docks
    fishing from the couch in front of the tv doesnt count

Post Thanks / Like

I just got my first kayak so I'll be fishing out of it all summer. I'll be fishing lakes, neighborhood ponds, and a few rivers. Since I'll be fishing out of my kayak, not sure how well I'll be able to troll, but definitely able to fish some docks. Any advice would be great.
    Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rebel angler View Post
    I just got my first kayak so I'll be fishing out of it all summer.
    I often fish out of a float tube, so I wouldn't use a rod over 7'. When you're that low to the water, it's much easier to land the fish with shorter rods. I'd look for any UL or light spinning combo that fits your budget. For an inexpensive rod, I'd vote for either the Bass Pro Microlite or the Shimano Voltaeus. They both sell for about $40. Get the best reel you can afford to go with it. I don't think you can go wrong with a Daiwa or Shimano. A lot of guys on here like the Pfluegers, also.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to spend more than 50 or 60 bucks on the combo, but don't want it to be a piece of junk either.
    If you're willing to spend a little more, you'll be much more likely to avoid the junk.

Post Thanks / Like

If ya have a Bass Pro nearby go look at the Browning Aggressor combo's. Very, very nice. They do not have them in the catalog or on line for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're willing to spend a little more, you'll be much more likely to avoid the junk.
    I really like the idea of a decent ultralight rod, mainly because I don't have one and I could use it for crappie an trout. Win win!
    So after I get ahold of a new rod an reel, what tackle/lures should I start buying?

Post Thanks / Like

So after I get ahold of a new rod an reel, what tackle/lures should I start buying?
    I'm a jig guy. I like marabou and chenille jigs in the 1/64 - 1/32 oz size. If you're fishing deeper water, go with heavier jigs.

Small plastics work well, too: curly tail grubs, tubes, crappie sliders, etc.

I like black in stained water and chartreuse or white the rest of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure most of yall do your share of bass fishing too, so is crappie fishing anything like fishin for bass?
    What are some of the things I need to know in order to find crappie? An what things impact where I'll find them, like weather conditions, water clarity, etc.

Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

BnM rods.....great rods, best customer service bar none.....cant go wrong with some jig heads, tubes, #2 hooks, split shots, & floats....that way you can minnow or jig fish....

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast